Studio My kids in continuous lighting

Name
Eric Cote
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, This is my first post with photos on this forum so I guess I have to start somewhere. Those three photos (of 2 of my kids) were done with a continuous lighting system I made with fluorescent tubes. I wanted to make something similar to what Peter Hurley was using without spending 4000$ on it. They give a different look, especially for the catch light.

Do you like it or not?

p1442534684-4.jpg

p1442535024-4.jpg

p1442534374-4.jpg

Hmmm, interesting for sure. I really like the catchlights, very nice indeed. :)

They're a bit over exposed for my liking, but with the consistency of them i'm assuming that's the look you wanted?

#2 is REALLY good!

Like them all, with 2 being the stand out image.

Hi

Great first photo post. I remember my first post with photos was terrible! All below is just my opinion so feel free to ignore!

Like number two a lot!

3 is nearly there for me, like the catch lights but looking up his left nostril is not a good look and the skin has lost a lot of detail/texture/contrast with the exposure.

You'll need another two lights for the Hurley Kino Flo look .

I feel the backlighting in one needs toning down a bit but like the expression and eye contact.

Perhaps a bit more contrast in your mono conversions?

Good stuff and look forward to seeing more!

S

I have to agree with the others, #2 is the better of a decent set.

The processing and light looks slightly different, there is more shadow on the face giving it bit more depth, the last one is virtually shadowless and seems slightly overexposed although it is still a good image :)

I like the shallow depth of field here. Lovely and crisp, though slightly OE on the right side as people have said, but that is an easy correction for next time.

#2 would be my pick also.

Your setup works though. Good set.

Thank you for the comments. Maybe I pushed the red a bit far in my B&W treatment but I like them contrasty. The original shot was not OE. Here is one of them Straight out of the Camera. I will have to check my B&W treatment to be sure not to lose too much details in the skin.

p658029575-5.jpg

That last shot is lovely, 2 is better but no photo needs to be better than either.
Excellent
Steve.

Hi

Looking at your colour version it's the mono conversion that has resulted in the loss if detail.

I'm guessing the orange saturation together with the red has been pushed a bit too far (obviously this will depend on the white balance though)

S

Have taken the chance to look at these again. Sometimes, you know an image just works, when you look at it and just go "Wow!" Image 2, once again, does this for me. So once again well done :clap:

Fab_You cracked it alright :) As has been said above first 2 are better number 2 being the most eye catching mainly because of the great composition and camera angle.

Gaz

Last edited:
I thought you were onto something after looking at the first image but then when I got to the 2nd I realised you'd nailed it, great shot - love the lighting, composition, dof, the texture, everything.

The 3rd is good but the lighting in the first two works better for me.

Back