My latest tip for macro's - its a good one too!

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Dont answer your mobile phone! lmao, I just dropped my flash, ffs. Thankfully its a cheapo - but it could have been my camera and I know a lot of you use much better flashes than me for macro's. Gutted. Now I got to order another and wait a week before I can get out and about, unless its nice and sunny and I can get some natural lighting meantime, but you can never tell with good ol' Blighty weather! :)

Ouch, not fun mate. However, don't wait for sunny days for NL, it's better the do those on a more overcast day as I understand it as you get less crazy highlights on eyes and wings. :)

Ouch! Reminds me of the time I dropped my flash from standing on a chair onto a hard, tiled floor. The batteries flew out but amazingly the flash survived. Could have ended in tears though. Hope your replacement comes soon!

its ok - at least it was only a cheapo flash - could have been worse! :)

Bummer Carl. :(

I had a camera fall over once which bust that and a lens, and also mu Mrs knocked over my tripod once which damaged my first ringfllash.

Not much fun without them!

Paul.
I bet you didn't speak to your missus for a couple of hours after that - or did you manage to wangle a better model out of it? (hope you put on the puppy eyes lol :)

I can quote what happened for you Carl - the whole event...

The camera, with the ringflash attached to the front of my original 100mm macro lens, was on the tripod at the bottom end of the living room. The wife was putting some clothes on one of them indoor driers close to the gas wall heater down their when a sock fell to the floor, so she reached out to pick it up and put her hand on the heater to steady herself.

Of course, the heater being on, meant it was hot, so she yelled ouch and pulled back, and thereby knocked the tripod. The camera and flash fell against the wall and the ringflash got damamged.

"Ouch!

Have you burned yourself Gill?

No not really, it was a bit hot though...

You stupid cow you broken my flashgun!!!"

The next bit I can't type or the mods will have me, lol....

I bought another of the same in the end..

Paul.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I was once without my twin flash for a few months while it was in the service center for repair. I did lots of natural light macro (with my 150mm), mostly on tripod. Learned a lot about NL during that period.

I remember shooting with just the pop-up flash too when I first started: D80, SP90, styrofoam plate, popup flash. I actually used this rig for close to a year :D

My Mighty Macro Rig by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

If you want a brick of a flashgun you can't beat Yongnuo 560 ex iii been dropped twice now and once down a 2 step flight of concrete slab construction.

Still works and looks as new. The 18-55mm didn't survive.

Oh no hopefully you can sort out a replacement
agree with Ian overcast days are better for natural light macros

Back