My LEGO Thread

All excellent stuff & looking forward to the results of your hard work :clap:

Thank you but my pictures are at the end of page one!!

Ooooopsi! I's a big idiot as I must have gone straight to page two :banghead:

Still now I've taken a good look & still loving what you're doing - so keep up the good work (y)

Thanks all!

Ooooopsi! I's a big idiot as I must have gone straight to page two :banghead:

Still now I've taken a good look & still loving what you're doing - so keep up the good work (y)
We've all done it! :) Thank you very much! Onto the next project!!...

I'm loving this thread, time to raid my sons Lego collection me thinks !
I love this thread also but in my case I'll be raiding MY Lego sets lol. Men don't grow up, they just get bigger:D
Aha, my collection is getting massive now and I only buy it for photography! You're right though Paul - we don't!!!

Thanks all!

We've all done it! :) Thank you very much! Onto the next project!!...

Aha, my collection is getting massive now and I only buy it for photography! You're right though Paul - we don't!!!

Haha not just me then.... been after a few more bits..... damm you ebay ;)

The only problem is all my sets are Lego Technic and the Technic men look stupid compared to the proper midget Lego men. I must raid Ebay one night.

Kept all my Lego from when I was a kid and now the boy has got it, and he's adding to it. He,s got ALL the alien conquest Lego and a small amount of star wars. I also have the cargo train, which isn't in that PIC. Photo straight from camera :oops: :$
1535468_10152085741337023_374297493_n.jpg

Thanks all!

Kept all my Lego from when I was a kid and now the boy has got it, and he's adding to it. He,s got ALL the alien conquest Lego and a small amount of star wars. I also have the cargo train, which isn't in that PIC. Photo straight from camera :oops: :$
1535468_10152085741337023_374297493_n.jpg
That's impressive!

I miss my lego? My boy is only 2 so its either in his mouth or straight across the room!!

He saves his pocket money for it. I told he he could spend it on sweets if he wants to, it's his pocket money but instead he saves his £1.50 a week and when he's got enough I order him something eg the petrol tanker, cement mixer, off amazon. Good lad. He also gets it for Xmas and birthdays.

Sorry if gone a bit off thread and about the focus being too soft :confused:

No problem here mate! It's always a pleasure to speak to other enthusiasts.

Here's one I've just made for the ClioSport.net photography competition. The theme was "minimalism" and I went with this. In order to not take away from the desired finish, I also did not include my typical logo.

Minimalism
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Tom, the pictures are fantastic. I too have my own lego fetish. I started to take pictures to practice my photography and to learn more about my camera when it was wet outside. For Christmas I had some Lego from Santa and I am continuing to shoot Lego.

Keep up the excellent creative work

Tom, the pictures are fantastic. I too have my own lego fetish. I started to take pictures to practice my photography and to learn more about my camera when it was wet outside. For Christmas I had some Lego from Santa and I am continuing to shoot Lego.

Keep up the excellent creative work
Thank you! I've just give you a Flickr follow! I love finding fellow LEGO-heads. You're also pretty local too, if your Brummingham pics on Flickr are anything to go by...

Went to Legoland Windsor with the wife and kids. IT was awesome!
Awesome! I've not been.... :confused:

Awesome! I've not been.... :confused:

If they saw you coming with your camera/s, etc they would quadruple the admission fee - but you would have some good shots :D

I only took my little Nikon compact otherwise I'd have spent too long taking photos, and I would've not been in family good books lol. It took us all day as it was and we only did about 2 or 3 rides. We went to look at lego not go on rides... and my 6 year old boy agreed. Good lad.

Last edited:
BRILLIANT. After seeing the recent movie, realised how much i missed lego
Really like the recent work, but by far favourite is Melancholy :p

My latest work...

Using some LEGO parts and stickers from the recent Shell LEGO promotion, I made this little Kimi Raikkonen...

13794281354_01ceae496e_c.jpg

They're brilliant. A real breath of fresh air.
Brilliant photos so creative.
BRILLIANT. After seeing the recent movie, realised how much i missed lego
Really like the recent work, but by far favourite is Melancholy :p
Thanks folks!

I've still not seen the LEGO movie. :(

Where do you source your lego minis from?
I buy it as and when I need/want it. I usually treat to myself to a mini fig once a week when I'm doing my weekly shop. When I need more specific parts, I'm happy to pay a little over-the-odds and use eBay. Things like, a hat for example. It'll cost £1.50 for one item, but it means you get your picture/scene exactly how you'd like it.

Hey Habitual how did you know that Kimi is my favourite F1 driver - except for Jenson.

As always I love your work so please keep it up as it is something for us to look forward to (y)

Some great images in here. A friend of mine has been wanting to dabble with something similar so I'll have to show him this.

Love being able to see your setup too. Helps those of us trying to imitate and learn!

These are awesome! I'll have to show my friend this thread, she works at Legoland and loves it so I'm sure she'd enjoy these shots!

Hey Habitual how did you know that Kimi is my favourite F1 driver - except for Jenson.

As always I love your work so please keep it up as it is something for us to look forward to (y)
Aha, he's cool isn't he?! Thanks John!

Some great images in here. A friend of mine has been wanting to dabble with something similar so I'll have to show him this.

Love being able to see your setup too. Helps those of us trying to imitate and learn!
Thank you @DBT85. I also love seeing behind the scenes stuff, which is why I post mine. :)

I like those. :)
I did a couple of Lego shots for fun a while ago What do you think
Haha, those are funny Doug - good effort!

These are awesome! I'll have to show my friend this thread, she works at Legoland and loves it so I'm sure she'd enjoy these shots!
Haha love these they are absolutely brilliant!!
Thanks peeps!

Very good lol

I was saying to the wife after looking at this thread again that with all the Lego the boy has got I should give this a go. So next time I'm rained off work Ithink iI will.

Thanks @Raptor Mike

There's been a really great response to this thread, so I thought I'd take some behind the scenes stuff for you guys on one of my days off work!

A lot of people are asking how I make these pictures and how I fit it in to my life.

The reality is, I plan shots for weeks and slowly buy/collect bits I need from various sources. Then once I have everything I need, I'll set everything up over a couple of work nights.

I work about 40-60 hours a week, so I make it easier for myself by having a permanent setup.

I have an 'IKEA' table (cost about £20) just sitting in the corner of my study.

LEGO Permanent Setup
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

It's perfect for keeping everything underneath between shoots.

Underneath I have my camera bags, two 'Really Useful' boxes and a basket full of props, such as the wooden chopping board that I occasionally use as a floor.

Here's how I sort my LEGO figures. I disassemble each figure and organise them into heads of different genders/emotions and different body types, etc. This makes it easy to construct pictures from scratch. It also prevents you from double-buying parts from eBay (which I've done a few times now).

One box is full of disassembled men and the other is full of spare bricks, etc.

LEGO Sorting Idea
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Finally, my backdrops are made from 5mm foam board that has been cut into pieces and reassembled with mounts.

I have one A3 base (raised for horizons, etc), one A3 backdrop and 3 A4 reflectors/side walls.

LEGO Photography Backdrops
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

I use cheap pegs to hold images, paper and materials onto the boards when needed.

Hope you enjoyed that! :)

brilliant work, really inspirational too and loved the "behind the scenes" pics. Must get some lego now lol.

Out of curiosity what sort of lens / lighting are you using?? being a newbie not sure if i have the right lens for this type of photography

Thanks Richard! It's always flattering to know that it inspires people.

I use a variety of lenses. Ideally, I need a macro lens for this sort of stuff. Instead, I mostly use my cheap Canon 50mm f1.8 MK2. You can get them for about £60 now! Cracking little lens. I love it.

However, I have made the expensive decision of borrowing a macro lens from my dad and did a test shot yesterday.

The quality on it is immense! My figures aren't as clean and perfect as I once thought!!!!!.... So yeah, if you use a Macro lens, make sure your LEGO is spotless lol.

Here was my macro shot.

The (WLRC) World LEGO Rally Championships
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

It's not the best use of a macro lens in my opinion, but it gave me a good feel for the quality of the lens.

It's the Canon 100mm f2.8 - awesome lens for sub £300 used. I think I'm going to get one next.

But to answer your original question; I use a 1.8 50mm most of the time with natural lighting and occasionally a fill flash (which I am still getting used to).

In some shots, I've used other various home made lighting methods, such as lamps and tracing paper (see page one of this thread).

Last edited:
Wow I was expecting you to come back with a really complex and hugely expensive setup lol.

Definitely inspirational and they all tell a story of sorts which is brilliant looking forward to seein more.

Back