My Light Painting Evolving

Been a while... again... Really had lost my photo mojo the past months, so been flicking through my Lightroom collection and came across this beauty. I haven't spun an orb in so long, I haven't been out at night in sooo long... must get into it! Thanks to everyone who still pops in :) Hopefully I will get some fresh stuff soon!

IMG_0217.jpg
by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Some of you following/flicking through might remember or have come across this image from November 2012:

Full Moon Wreck

Well I have been flicking through all my old shots and found this:
<

The Test Shot

This is actually one of my test shots from the night, to gauge how my long exposure light painted shot is going to come out I fire off a few high ISO shots first. Really liking this one and shows that some of the test shots turn out to be just as good as your intended shots of the night.

Well managed to venture out and do a spot of Light-Painting the other night for the first time in a long time! Firstly this was LP on a budget compared to what I'm used to in the past, I have moved back to a crop camera (Canon 600D) and was using the kit 18-55... The results I could tell a mile off were not what I was used to coming out of the 5D, although my 500D had some cracking shots it struggled a bit with no moon light, same as the other night. Anyway I'm itching for my 5D again though so who know might have to sell the 600D soon :D

Wooooo!

Orb Stars

I have once again reread the whole pages for inspiration. I love your work. Could you please assist in advice on best soldering poits for orb tool as I have some sets with thin wire. My eyesight is not great but my last tool snapped close to batteries and considered solderring wires a few inches out and spin holding stronger cable?

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have flung one together as described above. Hopefully the solder will hold but only had 3 tiny wires to work with.

Busted out another Orb last night down on the beach, I was hoping for some aurora as my app was going a bit crazy but I missed it, you can just see a very small ting of green on the horizon to the left :( Although I'm back to a 5D1 haha... much better!

Time to Reflect

As for the soldering, I might strip mine back and re-do it and i'll give you a few shots of it :) but the way I take the 'pressure' off the soldered is to do a kind of 'S' with the weak solder section in the middle bend and then tape over it tightly :)solders should never break then.

Last edited:
I REALLY need to try this. Found my blue leds lights from the pound shop last night. Bunched them up ready now just need to extend the wires.

Any pointers for a N00B?

Thanks

A

What a stunning and inspiring thread. I've got some friends who do fire poi, think I'll have to give them a shout and get out sometime.

Fantastic shots, well composed and great locations.

Right well big Aurora last night so headed out with the 600D and kit lens to see what I could do. Some of this is just using the light of the Aurora to light the scene, the ones at the Stones I used my 'going flat' Lenser P7 to light them up slightly

Stone Aurora

Admiring the Glow

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Had to blast out an Orb at some-point of course ;)

IMG_1644.jpg

For the full thread head on over to the Landscape Section http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/aurora-storm.531922/

Well thought I would call in and post an update. It's been some time since my last, I have been very busy the past while seeing as I now have 2 daughters :D and not much time to spend going out amongst other hobbies that have taken my time up. So here's the deal, new kit and re-newed desire are getting me going again!

So hopefully be back out at night pretty soon! Hope to see you all soon!

Thanks! Yea it's been a mental year so far... Kit wise will now be shooting the following :)

Canon 60D
Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM
Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC

So it will be interesting not having as wide a focal length as I used to but shall see what I can create. Now to dig out the other light toys and get it all sorted again!

Congratulations again Matt! Makes me realise how long ago it is since we were last over on Lewis.

Looking forward to your future shots.

Congratulations again Matt! Makes me realise how long ago it is since we were last over on Lewis.

Looking forward to your future shots.
Thanks, yes it will be over two years now since you were up I'm sure (doesn't feel that long though!) just got to try and get out again once the dark nights roll back in :D

Great thread very inspirational.
Cheers, also nice to hear some feedback... Now the thread is well over two years old!

Finally! A new fresh image! It's been a long-time coming but it's here. I managed to get the inspiration to pick up the camera and head out to my favourite ruin/Airidh for a bit of fun. This is probably my first and last trip out with the 60D, I feel it has been holding me back due to size and weight (for everyday stuff) so I'm moving to mirrorless with a Fuji x-E1... Not sure how this will fair with any night time stuff but will see how it goes as i really want to just back into photos of any kind!

Enough of that here's the shot

A Warm Glow
A Warm Glow by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Back