My new f2.8 sigma lens first outing

so going over a jump i would want horse and rider in focus so should i put focus piont on horse or rider??

so going over a jump i would want horse and rider in focus so should i put focus piont on horse or rider??

I'd choose a depth of field big enough so that they are both in focus. That way it doesn't matter to much where you place it. Generally for f2.8 it will be hard, depending on the angle to get them both....

Try this to work it out, with some experience it will become second nature to do it in your head :)

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

You increase you f number :)

Get the book Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson I think. It is really good at explaining the relationships between the settings :)

this is what i was saying about shooting 2.8 all of the time, for something like a head on shot youll normally end up with either the horse or rider in focus as the depth is so thin. side on is not so much of an issue as obviously the two are on the same plane.

Matt the ironic thing is i was looking at a 50-150 lens on ebay before i bought mine but didnt think it would be any good for what i need,i still dont know about cropped sensors,and all stuff like that,i wish i had got a different lens for indoor,looking for another one now,i am very limited with where i can stand at the equine place i go to,i am in the way of the horses if i move round to much,only really a handful of places i can stand.

Matt the ironic thing is i was looking at a 50-150 lens on ebay before i bought mine but didnt think it would be any good for what i need,i still dont know about cropped sensors,and all stuff like that,i wish i had got a different lens for indoor,looking for another one now,i am very limited with where i can stand at the equine place i go to,i am in the way of the horses if i move round to much,only really a handful of places i can stand.

I'm fairly new to this, so by all means ignore me :nuts:

but just reading through this thread, i would say keep your money, you can buy all the glass in the world, but i think maybe the advise given to me would help.

"You can have the best body and glass, you could go out and spend 5k but if you don't learn the basic, you will still have basic shots"

No offense, its just something said to me and made me think, as your were asking questions about aperture/depth of field and focus, and other things, you may just need to sit down and at least understand these.

I sit and take shots in my house, with different aperture (f settings), focus points, focus settings just to see what happens.

Maybe just step back a bit, and anytime someone mentions something your not sure about, just search it or look it up.

Last edited:
Back