My next Camera gotta have an evf

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently purchased the Fuji XF1 and while it's a brilliant little camera, lovely images that it produces, I did struggle using the LCD screen in bright light. Although I must admit I did get it as an indoor camera, so I can't have too many complaints against the little Fuji, but the missus decided she would now like to use it. I got myself a little cheapo compact the other day Panasonic TZ35, as I said it was only a little bog standard cheapo camera to throw in my back pocket, for in the park happy snapping. While the images are nowhere near as good as the little Fuji, it does the job of happy snapping, when conditions are right. Oh and it does have a decent zoom, so I am happy with the quick pics I can sometimes get with the long zoom of the wild life.

Just The Next Camera I will Get, Will Deffo Have To Have An Electronic View Finder.

I just can't see the bloomin LCD screens in bright light !

4299-1398339909-630a9d9e39ca818e2e5b6c7e0790cb14.jpg

The hard to see LCD screen !

4300-1398340443-1ea6db236179bb94f82072d6e86add08.jpg

Very difficult to see the info, or the subject I am taking and I end up seeing my own reflection !

Yup. Same here but in my case I could usually see the screen but just didn't like the arms length shooting thing.

I loved my Panasonic G1 until I decided I really didn't and now I don't think I will ever buy anything but a compact without a VF again.

I know what you mean, although I don't have a problem with the rear screen even in Crete. If there was a pocket sized X20 (ie an OVF and collapsible lens), I would have one like a shot! Until then, the pocketability of the XF wins for me most of the time.

Yup. Same here but in my case I could usually see the screen but just didn't like the arms length shooting thing.
I loved my Panasonic G1 until I decided I really didn't and now I don't think I will ever buy anything but a compact without a VF again.

Not keen on the holding arms out shooting thing myself. Plus I think people are more likely to take offence, at having someone point a camera at arms length at them, well I mean it's a little bit obvious.

I know what you mean, although I don't have a problem with the rear screen even in Crete. If there was a pocket sized X20 (ie an OVF and collapsible lens), I would have one like a shot! Until then, the pocketability of the XF wins for me most of the time.

Yes and it would be great to have reasonable zoom range, 24mm - 200mm equivalent and reasonably bright across the zoom range and without loss of Sensor quality. Dunno, maybe the dynamics would not make this possible !

Personally, I would like an 8mm -1600mm zoom on it (still collapsible and with adjustable distortion correction (FLs 35mm equivalent!), constant f/2.8 (f/1.4 would be nice but I'm trying to stay real!!!)

I've wondered about a Hoodloupe thing to use on the XF but that puts it in X-20 bulk territory again...

I've wondered about a Hoodloupe thing to use on the XF but that puts it in X-20 bulk territory again...
Now they do look weird, certainly get noticed using a contraption like that :eek:

Get a hood loupe, they even magnify the rear screen.. I've used one with the Sony HX9V and HX20V and they are a fantastic device. The one I have has a sticky-backed frame that you attach around the rear screen and the hood itself pops on and off with magnets.

Get a hood loupe, they even magnify the rear screen.. I've used one with the Sony HX9V and HX20V and they are a fantastic device. The one I have has a sticky-backed frame that you attach around the rear screen and the hood itself pops on and off with magnets.

NOD has already suggested that, I can't help feeling it looks a little like a gas mask though ! But there again, if it does the job :)

Last edited:
I can more than suggest it though, I can recommend it! It can look a bit odd, but in bright light or when using your compact for movie shooting it's a brilliant bit of kit. And quite cheap, from what I remember. I've had mine a couple of years now.

I can more than suggest it though, I can recommend it! It can look a bit odd, but in bright light or when using your compact for movie shooting it's a brilliant bit of kit. And quite cheap, from what I remember. I've had mine a couple of years now.

Just had a quick look, and yes they are reasonably priced. Thanks for that tip :)

My eye HATEs looking at LCD screens, although I haven't tried a proper loupe.
Olympus VF-2 for me, or the built-in Panasonics.
The new GX7 EVF is nice too.
I hear the X-T1 EVF is the bee's knees, as is the Olympus E-M1. Both cost a bloomin' fortune though!

Why, what do you consider a proper Camera ?

Maybe a plate camera, with ground glass screen and a fabric hood large enough for his ego and the chip on his shoulder? :)

Not keen on the holding arms out shooting thing myself. Plus I think people are more likely to take offence, at having someone point a camera at arms length at them, well I mean it's a little bit obvious.

Yes and it would be great to have reasonable zoom range, 24mm - 200mm equivalent and reasonably bright across the zoom range and without loss of Sensor quality. Dunno, maybe the dynamics would not make this possible !

You need a Sony RX10 24mm -200mm equivalent, constant f2.8 and a superb evf.

i-NmtLG8b-XL.jpg

i-wqSKVZ2-XL.jpg

i-9CQDrhc-XL.jpg

Roy

The little Panasonic LF-1 is tiny yet has an EVF. It's not the best EVF. But it still works well in a small body. Ideal if you need reading glasses too.
LF1k_slant.jpg

I've had EVF's overloaded by bright scenes and been as useless as rear LCD's so I always go for an optical such as on my G1X. It doesn't have to be that accurate as I use the PC for the final layout but at least it shows me what I'm pointing at.

I don't think that 'overload' occurs on all EVFs though. I've not had any problems on my E-M5.

Back