My poor nifty fifty fell off the ironing board...

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
... And is now broken. When the lens is turned during focusing, it comes apart, and clicks painfully. You can push it back in and turn it to 'fix' it back into place but obviously it'll be out of focus, when it's focused it comes apart again.
Here is a shot of what I mean -

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2457/branch16h.jpg

I bought it from an Amazon retailer in Feb of this year. It has the warranty document inside, do I just fill in the document with a copy of the receipt off Amazon and send it off? Or perhaps there is a simple way to fix it myself?

I loved that lens :shake:

Staff Edit : Image(s) removed. (Link(s) left in place). Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text

Yeah. But still its 70 pounds new from what I can see, I only shelled out for a new flashgun the other day :(

Whilst you could claim off your home contents insurance, you probably have a £50 excess and you would have to watch out for the loss of any no claims discount, so I think you may be best to put this down to experience and not try ironing with it!

Why were you trying to iron a lens? :D:bonk:

I'd just kick yourself in the shin so you don't do it again and go buy another one. Too much hassle with excess/increased premium/losing no claims etc to bother with insurance and you've got no chance of claiming on the warranty.

So why were you trying to iron it.:p:woot::shrug:

Yeah funny. It's ever since i've recieved my new Lowepro bag. I put it on the ironing board and I guess I forgot that it was unzipped.

But there's definately now way to fix it? I mean the focusing and everything still works. If only it just clicked back into place.

I cant see from your pic if anything is actually cracked or broken or if it has just come apart?

I would say buy new because it is quite likely that the lenses may have shifted due to impact and you'll have problems anyway.

But I would be looking to see if there are any broken/cracked catches/clips/screws and going in with the araldite.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - the nifty is pretty flimsy. I once dropped one about a foot (onto a hard surface I admit) and it broke into 2 pieces. My highly trained eye spotted almost at once that there might be a problem....

Didn't stop me buying another though.

Best

Richard

Yeah yeah, all laugh at me...

I wasn't laughing at you John, it's a **** when you break anything nevermind camera gear :(

*just camera gear + ironing board tickled my warped sense of humour :help:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - the nifty is pretty flimsy

Another Canon first - the disposable lens! They should sell them in packs of 10.. Used it in bad weather and the rain's got into the elements? Not to worry, drop it in the bin and get a new one out. Ideal for weddings, motorsport etc. :LOL:

A.

I'm sorry John, but it's probably buggered. I know it's £70 or so that you could well do without losing. But it would probably cost that to fix it. As for people laughing, well it's understandable that you probably can't see the funny side right now, but give it six months or so and I'm sure you will do.

cheers

Back