My Shoreham Airshow

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
*edit* - plenty of shots if you keep scrolling down :)

Well here's the first shots from Shoreham! When you're up on the hill, you definitely have to pick your shots since most of the time the planes are too far to get anything decent but occasionally they pop by close enough.
This was the Strikemaster lifting off for the last display on Sunday and he stayed low after taking off which made for a nice flyby :)

I'll post more stuff later as I finally gain the motivation to process them!

1 -
Urban Strikemaster by Phal44, on Flickr
2 -
Lancing College Strikemaster by Phal44, on Flickr
3 -
Farming Strikemaster by Phal44, on Flickr
4 -
Bushy Strikemaster by Phal44, on Flickr
5 -
Low Strikemaster by Phal44, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hum dinging backdrop in #2 and focus looks nailed - really like the composition (apart from the footy posts/cricket nets) but that could be resolved should you want it to be.

Thanks :) I like all of these for all the different backdrops so I've kept them all hehe. There's more stuff in between which was all also in focus but these are the ones showing the different terrain as it flew by. When I saw him stay low I knew I'd get some special shots if I didn't screw it up!

I was a bit concerned at first before I'd left my exposure compensation quite high to deal with the bright sun on planes in the sky but that meant these shots were taken at ISO 1600 1/500. They were way over exposed but dropping exposure in Lightroom still left me with good shots so needless to say, I love processing :D hehe. It's just a shame there weren't more planes flying that low!

Anyway, here's a few more shots. The first is a bit more normal and the other two weren't really intentional but I kinda like the way they've turned out in a silhouetted shot way. I was taking some longer exposure shots of prop planes to see what I could do and had it on TV mode so as the plane got rather close to the sun, the aperture narrowed as much as it could. This left all the dust and flies etc visible along with whatever was on my sensor and lens hehe. I've tried to clone out the worst but you can tell the difference between the sky stuff and the lens/sensor stuff by the blur.

Again I had to drop the exposure down but other than that I've just dropped the black all the way down and only boosted colours a little to get these weird shots.

More 'normal' shots to come later :D

6 -

Supermarine Spitfire Mk XI by Phal44, on Flickr

7 -

Goodyear FG-1D Corsair by Phal44, on Flickr

8 -

More planes and more processing shenanigans! Both the same plane and the shots were probably taken within the same few seconds. I got rather excited when I saw it come right at me at a closer distance than I'd seen the previous day and when I saw the heat haze I knew it would make a good shot!
Love this lens :D

9 -
Hawker Hunter T7 by Phal44, on Flickr
10 -
Hawker Hunter T7 by Phal44, on Flickr

Some nice shots. I like the light in the Spitfire shot. Not overly sure over the funny colours in either of the corsair shots though. Crop either of the hunter shots portrait?

Harry.

Some nice shots. I like the light in the Spitfire shot. Not overly sure over the funny colours in either of the corsair shots though. Crop either of the hunter shots portrait?

Harry.

The funny colours got there all on their own :) I just dropped the exposure and dropped the black slider all the way down and those are the colours I got from pointing my lens a bit too close to the sun hehe. I'm not sure I'd process too many shots like that but I quite liked them as accidental shots.

I did try to crop the Hunter in a Portrait shot in processing but I wasn't too keen on it for some reason! I'll go back and check heh

*edit*

Went and tried it and here's one take. It doesn't look as bad as I remember it but I'm still not sure about it for some reason. It's probably all in my head

Hunter crop test by Phal44, on Flickr

Anyway, Here's a few more

I think I'm slightly addicted to orange silhouetted planes in the sky :|

11 -
Douglas C-47A Skytrain by Phal44, on Flickr

12 -
One of the longer exposure shots that turned out nice :) Not perfect but not bad either for 1/90 on my first time on this new gimbal head :D
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress Sally-B by Phal44, on Flickr
13 -
Cool boatplane thingy
Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina by Phal44, on Flickr
14 -
I kinda looks at home with the Sea in the background and some Seagulls flapping about avoiding the propellers!

Last edited:
I like the last shot of the Catalina. I am not a fan of the funny colour shots though, sorry. I still haven't had time to go through mine yet, but I will post some when I can.

BTW you say you love the lens, but what one are you using?

Last edited:
I like the last shot of the Catalina. I am not a fan of the funny colour shots though, sorry. I still haven't had time to go through mine yet, but I will post some when I can.

BTW you say you love the lens, but what one are you using?

The funny colour shots are just one big lens flare really :) They're more interesting than good but I guess I like them just because they're different.

As for the lens, it says if you click through to the Flickr page as I leave all the Exif data on but it's just a little 200-400mm with the extender engaged.

Anyway, time for more goddam aeroplanes :D Some more Dakota/Skytrain stuff. Processing in these is bordering normal

15 - Lancing College as a backdrop
Douglas C-47A Skytrain by Phal44, on Flickr

16 - Some kind of follow the leader game going on here
Douglas C-47A Skytrain x2 by Phal44, on Flickr

17 - Plenty of detail :)
Douglas C-47A Skytrain "Drag 'em oot" N473DC by Phal44, on Flickr

18 - The other one :D
Douglas C-47A Skytrain N147DC by Phal44, on Flickr

Some interesting work, the 2 Daks with the college in the background is nice.

The 200-400 L is one big heavy expensive beast, how do you get on with it when using a tripod? I hand hold as i find a tripod cumbersome.

I know that the EXIF data is available in Flickr, however not everyone leaves it and i was looking on my phone, so I thought it would be easier just to ask the question.

Some interesting work, the 2 Daks with the college in the background is nice.

The 200-400 L is one big heavy expensive beast, how do you get on with it when using a tripod? I hand hold as i find a tripod cumbersome.

I know that the EXIF data is available in Flickr, however not everyone leaves it and i was looking on my phone, so I thought it would be easier just to ask the question.

The background is a bit plain for my taste but in some of the other shots there's nice soft clouds with a bit of variety in tone.

This was my first weekend with the lens on a new gimbal so it took a bit of getting used to. I found it turned too easily lol and I ended up panning a little erratically sometimes rather than a nice smooth motion. I was using a hyrdrostatic ballhead before which allows me to set a certain amount of resistance so this takes a bit of getting used to.

You do sometimes miss a few shots because you can't get into position quick enough but that seems a fair trade off to being able to get sharp shots even at very long exposures which I don't think I could do handheld.

And there was me thinking that flair was from a cheap lens....! Did you hire it?

Very much like that shot of Sally B, too.

Yeah that shot of Sally B stood out to me as it was one of the good ones of the long aperture shots I but also the light came through on the pilot and lit him up a bit :D

No cheap lens here, just me pointing it at the Sun pretty much. Not rented either hehe :) I decided I would stop moaning about the lens I had and get something good... Now I've got no excuse really!

You jammy git...! Will you be at Duxford next weekend (or Old Warden this Sunday?)... I'll let you have a go with my 500mm F4 if you fancy a 5 min swap ;)

Wasn't planning on it although it's tempting to do the Saturday judging by the lineup

Well I guess it had to be expected! More planes

19 -
BAC Strikemaster Mk.82a G-SOAF by Phal44, on Flickr
20 - The sky/background was just white anyway so I decided to throw the sliders around and I liked the way the prop blur looked like this
21 -
Avro Lancaster B1 by Phal44, on Flickr
22 - 1/60th exposure and still no perfect prop blur disc!
Avro Lancaster B1 by Phal44, on Flickr
23 - 1/90 and it's sharp enough to see the tread pattern on the tyres :)
P-51 Mustang by Phal44, on Flickr
24 - Kinda looks like it's diving
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress Sally-B by Phal44, on Flickr

Hmm I'm sure I'd replied to this earlier! I decided on a Benro GH2 since it seemed a decent enough head without paying Wimberley prices! No issues so far :D

*makes plane noises*
A few more!

25 - It's hard to get anything original looking from the Wingwalkers but the light kinda helped here
•Breitling Wingwalkers - Boeing Stearman x 2 by Phal44, on Flickr

26 - The Catalina is pretty cool to me for some reason :) I like the big Perspex bubble on the side for spotters

27 - And now some more B-17 love
•Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - B-17 Preservation Ltd by Phal44, on Flickr

28 -

29 - The cloud helps in a way since it's quite disorientating! I could almost me flying alongside them a little higher

30 - A bit of a taster for the next shots!
•Hawker Hunter T7 WV372 - Graham Peacock by Phal44, on Flickr

Back