Mystery island, South pacific - mega panorama

wez130

Steak,wedges and a pint
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a shot I took a few years ago, 2018 in fact! I took it from my cabin on the cruise I was on and it is made up of quite a few shots, I forget exactly how many, but at least 12 but I imagine more. I took it on my old Sony a6500 and I beleive it would have been the 18-105 G lens. The original file is over 77,000 pixels long, I haven't added it to here as I still don't know what I want to do with the original file yet, if anything at all, but I really like it, I have however included a 100% crop so you can see the detail you can zoom into! Let me know what you think?

53584196109_a64fcf3623_b_d.jpg

53584093213_76f0c3452c_b_d.jpg

53584093253_829653c0f6_b_d.jpg

Let me know what you think?

I have slightly mixed feelings about this - and the large panos that I also produce from time to time.

The 100% crop you have provided shows a problem that I see too sometimes with a pano - verticals (and sometimes horizontals) badly out of alignment. In the case of this, it's hard to tell is the tilting building was caused by a failure to hold the camera horizontal or possibly distortion towards the edge of the lens. The people in the picture look rather shortened, so I'm going to guess at lens distortion as the cause. Sometimes stitching software is amazingly flexible in the way it will assemble images that tilt while cleverly hiding the join.

Overall it's a cool idea, although somewhat impractical unless you plan to have a print 5 meters long, but then you still have to find somewhere to display it. ;)

I like it :D despite the distortion.

I've started to dabble with panoramas and I am conscious of some of the issues which can arise. I've mostly used 35 and 50mm lenses but may have also used a 28mm once or twice. I do try to get a good overlap and to hold the camera level etc.

I think that we do need to be aware of possible issues but some may only be visible when we zoom in. In more normal viewing (probably on screen or even in quite large prints but not xxm long prints) these things might not be too much of a problem and indeed might not be seen at all... by normal people, but we're not normal people :D We can maybe either do things to reduce the little issues visible at high magnification or try to live with some little issues if the picture as a whole is one we like :D

Last edited:
Back