Nürburgring 24hrs 2014

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon All,

I've been challenging myself to improve my photography over the past 12 months, and as part of that I've been posting photos on a few car forums which has told me what petrolheads want to see from a batch of photos, but hasn't provided any useful critique of the photography itself. This is hopefully where TalkPhotography comes in!

I personally think I'm pretty close when it comes to the technical aspect of capturing the image, but feel I may need to work on the processing and post-capture composition side of things, but I'd be interested to know what you guys and girls think.

To start with here are a batch of photos taken at the 2014 ADAC Nürburgring 24hrs back in June:

A lone 2015 Subaru WRX STI on the GP circuit in the afternoon sun:

Nürburgring_24hrs_20140621-22_010 by mwggriffiths, on Flickr

The late evening sun was causing issues for a few drivers:

Nürburgring_24hrs_20140621-22_017 by mwggriffiths, on Flickr

The WRX STI again, seen here at night coming out of Brunchen, I was surprised by how well the 5d3/120-300mm combo was working in the pitch black:

Nürburgring_24hrs_20140621-22_049
by mwggriffiths, on Flickr

The crowd-favourite Opel Manta B cresting the Flugplatz at sun rise (nobody was pushing particularly hard here, so no airborne shots unfortunately):

Nürburgring_24hrs_20140621-22_062 by mwggriffiths, on Flickr

The speed with which the GT3 cars come towards you at Hochenheim was giving the AF a serious work out! At F2.8 I got quite a few with the sun strip on windscreen in focus but the bonnet slightly soft. This shot was taken just after the sun had risen above the hills surround the Hockenheim:

Nürburgring_24hrs_20140621-22_066 by mwggriffiths, on Flickr

The rest are, of course, on flickr and I'd be interested to know if you thought any of those on flickr were better then this limited selection?

Anyway, lets hear it: what do I need to improve - do you worst!

Matt

Very good!! Nicely done, they are pin sharp and mostly taken at the perfect time. However don't fall for Bokeh in all the photographs. Sometimes if you have a car in the background correctly focused it can compliment the car in the foreground. Eg: the last photo would be good!

Last edited:
Those are spot on. The only tiny bit of crit for me is that it would be nice to see some wider shots showing the surroundings.

Cheers for the replies, they're all useful :)

Very good!! Nicely done, they are pin sharp and mostly taken at the perfect time. However don't fall for Bokeh in all the photographs. Sometimes if you have a car in the background correctly focused it can compliment the car in the foreground. Eg: the last photo would be good!

Do you reckon? I've always aimed for a single focal point in the image to draw the eye. I need to try some shots with a greater DoF at the next event and see how they look :)

4 is a corker

Cheers :) Flugplatz its such a photogenic location, especially with he sun low in the sky!

Those are spot on. The only tiny bit of crit for me is that it would be nice to see some wider shots showing the surroundings.

I know what you mean, any advice on achieving that while stuck behind catch fences? I like these two from Petrolious in particular, but both are clearly shot from the "correct" side of the fence :(

le-mans-classic-10.jpg

link

silverstone-nt-11.jpg

link

I will be completely I just assumed you had media for these.
I will let someone else come in and comment as I have never been to the nurburbring, hope to rectify that soon though.

No so sure about the first one but the others are stonkers!

Very atmospheric!

Back