name please ?

I believe it one of a number of flowers called Hibiscus and is suited to warmer climates, so prospects for growing them here would be limited.

Reminds me of a visit to Portugal a few years ago when my wife spotted a flower she liked and asked a local passer-by what they were called ... he replied, "we call them flowers" ... she didn't really know what to say, so we thanked him and walked on :D

Whilst the hibiscus you've got in your picture is probably too tender for the UK, there are varieties that grow happily here. I've got Hibiscus syriacus growing away in my garden, the flowers aren't as large and 'showy' but still put on a good display.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply's guys, gramps comment on asking the passer by made me chuckle as we often asked similar questions and got strange answers so we also thanked them and walked on too ha ha !

We've got one in a pot outside and it's surviving BUT we're a lot further South than you and it's a relatively hardy species/variety. Might bring it into the conservatory to overwinter and see if I can get it to flower again!

Back