NATO Awacs

Name
Stuart or just Stoo!
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been used to seeing an RAF Awacs overhead for years as the village I live in is only a few miles from RAF Waddington and the flight path extends over the village. I heard this and went to see what it was and came straight back in to grab my camera. I've never seen one of these either stationary or flying so I rattled off a few shots which I'm sharing today. Not after crit, just more of a share. All taken with my 70D and 300 f4L IS and all had minimal if any PP.

NATO AWACS Over Branston
by modchild, on Flickr

NATO AWACS Over Branston 1
by modchild, on Flickr

NATO AWACS Over Branston 2
by modchild, on Flickr

NATO AWACS Over Branston 3
by modchild, on Flickr

NATO AWACS Over Branston 4
by modchild, on Flickr

Great shots of a rarely seen aircraft, you folks up to something dodgy around Waddington.:) Big brother is listening...................:eek:

Great shots.....thanks for sharing..really like the last one:)

Thanks for the comments guys, Phil, the last one is my favourite one out of all the shots I got of it. I just like the angle of the plane in that one more than the crop of the shot.

Nice shots, with some fine detail.

Unless I'm mistaken, the prefix (LX) on the tail, would indicate that its from (registered) Luxembourg :thinking:

Dave

That's right Dave, it is registered in Luxembourg and after a bit of googling I found it out it's a Boeing E-3A Sentry, built in 1982 and has been in service since 1985.

amazing looking planes, I remember seeing one when I was younger but they always seem to be flying over my house these days since living close to RAF Mildenhall!

We had the thing flying overhead, very low and loud and circling every 5 minutes or so, for a couple of hours late last night. After that I'm beginning to wish I'd never seen the damn thing now.

Like the last one. Great shot haven't seen the LX E3, only 8 Sqn E3-D up.

Back