ND filter

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Quick question - better half now called and wants to go to the coast for fish and chips - I am thinking "off to the seaside for some sunset pics (hopefully)"

Have recently got a HOYA ND8 filter.........

What should I do to get the best results? - Looking to smooth the water out...... - though i expect it's like a millpond out there already.

Obviously tripod - and filter on the front. Do I need to do much with the camera settings? Had a play earlier and even a 5 second exposur ein shade produced a whiteout, though some of the peole on here are doing 30 seconds or so.........

Cheers.

Lynton

You'd be surprise how dark it has to be to get 30secs exposure.

If you want smooth water, unless it's very overcast, you'd better off wait till the sun has set.

Also on my D300 it has an option to turn on a low noise filter for long exposures. Look to see if you have that option.

ND8 is only darkens a scene by 3 stops , or a factor of 8 (2x2x2).

If your exposure without the filter is 1/200 then you're only going to be able to go to 1/25 without over exposing (assuming that you're keeping the aperture and ISO the same)

If you use manual mode then lower the ISO to 100 and close the aperture a fair bit (higher F number). That should allow some longer exposures (y)

cheers guys - know am jumping in the deep end too soon but fancy playing around a bit.......thanks for the ND8 = 2x2x2..kind of makes sense (I think - thankfully starting a yr long Adult Educatio DSLR course in September, so hopefully will make some sort of sense)

Right so if looking for a "10 stop" - what exactly should i be looking for? other than a ND 2^10!! :)

cheers - from an even more uneducated Lynton........

anyhows mission abandoned as loads of cloud rolled in............ however tomorrow night is predicted to be clear and a full harvest moon is due to rise around 9pm or so......... I already have the field marked and the farmer was a bit surprised that I asked for his permission to "use" his field..........."thass or roight bor, but mind the wheat.... can i have a copy if yoo get a good un?"

Back