nearly.!! straight from camera.

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
took this shot of one of my boys this evening . i have changed some setting in the camera to try and get my shots better straight of of the camera. dont get me wrong i dont mind a bit of pp work but i am trying to get it right in camera

this has had the levels checked and slightly tweaked . and usm i am quite happy with the minimal pp work .

what do you guys think for a pretty much straight from camera shot.

tp_matt.jpg

md:shrug:

Not bad mate, not bad.... how shallow is that dof though? The hair at the back of his head is out of focus and just looks a tad odd.:shrug:

Mark(y)

Not bad mate, not bad.... how shallow is that dof though? The hair at the back of his head is out of focus and just looks a tad odd.:shrug:

Mark(y)

f9 / iso 100 / 200th sec

so f9 not that shallow:shrug:

md(y)

ok, someone will have to explain that to me then, to me that looks really shallow.... goes away confused......:thinking:

comes back....:wave: is it something to do with distance from the subject?:shrug:

Mark(y)

I think it's a great image of a handsome young chap there Dave. To get this straight out of camera means you're obviously doing things right...(y)

PS: Gotta arrange another meet sometime yeah?

hmmm, yes, the rear of the hair is losing focus but then so is his t-shirt, but I don't think its a distraction as such. I like the colour and tone Dave, straight from camera is pretty good, my only small crit is his hair in his eyes, but that might be the aging mother in me :LOL: (y)

I think it's a great image of a handsome young chap there Dave. To get this straight out of camera means you're obviously doing things right...(y)

PS: Gotta arrange another meet sometime yeah?

as soon as the wife has had the baby mate i will be allowed out to play.(y) and cheers mate(y)

hmmm, yes, the rear of the hair is losing focus but then so is his t-shirt, but I don't think its a distraction as such. I like the colour and tone Dave, straight from camera is pretty good, my only small crit is his hair in his eyes, but that might be the aging mother in me :LOL: (y)

lol yv yes i know what your saying but he is growing his hair in a surfer style i think..:shrug: and again thanks. i feel i am slowly getting there thanks to the folks here:wave:

cheers carl(y)

anyone want to explain why the hair is oof at the back of his head at F/9:shrug:

md:D

I would assume (going on the basis that the photo is not cropped) that you were about 10-15ft away from the subject at 105mm. The DOF distance would be fairly small at those settings, im guessing about a foot.

(y)

about spot on (y)

md(y)

Thats not to shabby Dave (y)
( I don't actually mind the shallow DOF )

I think DOF is about right for a portrait shot of this nature, having said that I know nothing.......:shrug: out of the camera is the best way to go but not always possible (y)

i think it looks great m8,but is the white background wraping around the subject alittle ?causing alittle oof maybe
dunno if that the right way of saying it ,

but then what do i know still trying to get mine right lol lol

Last edited:
Simple portraits like this are easy enough straight from the camera tbh - hence event togs do them with no PP at all at such as Prom Nights

You need to ensure your exposure is right & WB too - after that it's simply a matter of deciding what in-camera sharpening, contrast, etc. you wish to add and hey-presto they come out fine to print straight away

I do mine a bit different though as there are no in-camera adjustments, but a complex Action in CS3 that does it all without any input from me - so basically the same easy-peasy approach, but I also sharpen only the lightness elements, add a touch of blur & often diffuse glow too; all designed to give shots the dg-look but with no real input from me

The one below (shot at last week's toddler group) - is straight-out-off-camera in this way, with just one big action on it making it ready for ProShowGold in one hit - aside from the drop shadow border and hint of diffuse glow, this is how it could be captured in-camera

Getting it right to start with is THE way forwards for any studio work as any error is all your fault, since you have complete control over lighting etc.

Nice shot btw MD - key too low for me though :)

DD

Easter_Bunny.jpg

You need to ensure your exposure is right & WB too
i wish i could get them right in ma front room.wb that is
but a complex Action in CS3 that does it all without any input from me
now that sound like it be nice to have

soz md waffling on your post

Last edited:
Thats not to shabby Dave (y)
( I don't actually mind the shallow DOF )
CHEERS CHRIS
I think DOF is about right for a portrait shot of this nature, having said that I know nothing.......:shrug: out of the camera is the best way to go but not always possible (y)
again thanks mate
i think it looks great m8,but is the white background wraping around the subject alittle ?causing alittle oof maybe
dunno if that the right way of saying it ,

but then what do i know still trying to get mine right lol lol
(y)
Simple portraits like this are easy enough straight from the camera tbh - hence event togs do them with no PP at all at such as Prom Nights

You need to ensure your exposure is right & WB too - after that it's simply a matter of deciding what in-camera sharpening, contrast, etc. you wish to add and hey-presto they come out fine to print straight away

I do mine a bit different though as there are no in-camera adjustments, but a complex Action in CS3 that does it all without any input from me - so basically the same easy-peasy approach, but I also sharpen only the lightness elements, add a touch of blur & often diffuse glow too; all designed to give shots the dg-look but with no real input from me

The one below (shot at last week's toddler group) - is straight-out-off-camera in this way, with just one big action on it making it ready for ProShowGold in one hit - aside from the drop shadow border and hint of diffuse glow, this is how it could be captured in-camera

Getting it right to start with is THE way forwards for any studio work as any error is all your fault, since you have complete control over lighting etc.

Nice shot btw MD - key too low for me though :)

DD

Easter_Bunny.jpg

cheers dave nice shot also(y)

i wish i could get them right in ma front room.wb that is

now that sound like it be nice to have

soz md waffling on your post

not to worry mate waffle away:LOL:

md(y)

Back