Need advice on slot-in filters please

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've gathered quite a collection of screw-in filters over the years, but now i'm looking at getting some ND grads and ND filters and think i'd be better off getting some slot-in ones.

I had a quick look around but the choice is dazzling, cokin, kood, lee, A + P types, can someone offer some advice on which to go for please?

Also i'm fedup of buying the same filters for my lenses so figured getting some adapters and slot-in would be better as well.

Thanks in advance

// Carl

Don't buy the Kood ones. If you can afford them get the Lee filters, if you can't get the Hitech ones and failing either of those, get the Cokin filters. :)

For quality I think they rate something like this, from lowest to highest.

Kood - Cokin - Formatt/Hitech - Lee.

There are probably loads of other makes out there also with varying quality but from what I've read it's basically down to "you get what you pay for". I personally use the Cokin 'P' filters and adapter and while not the best ones available I've been happy enough with them.

Tommy.

bah welly beat me to it :p

Ahhh thanks a lot for that guys, so basically avoid kood seems to be the advice :p

What's the difference between the A and P ones then? seems cokin do both?

Thank you

ahh ok, thanks for the info everyone, have started looking around for some lee filters, found a starter kit online for about £140, seems the average price so will get some ordered.

Thanks again

i've been through this recently
got a cheap ND filter, and everything comes out pink...but it looks lovely! :)

I went for the hitech ND grads from teamphoto or something
however, the holder is quite expensive, so on a budget I bought a cokin P filter holder and screw adaptor for £4

total budget £45 for 3 ND grads from hitech and a holder/mount
I went for the soft edges but I think the hard edges would be easier to use for general landscape and seascapes

Careful with Cokin filters - they are very Magenta and not neutral at all. I wouldn't recommend these as ND filters as I wasted my money on them.

not just me - google Cokin ND magenta

I went for the soft edges but I think the hard edges would be easier to use for general landscape and seascapes

If you're on a crop sensor, the transition on the soft grads is very gentle. So gentle that, on my 450D with the 18-55 kit lens, I couldn't get them to have much effect, without ending up filtering half the foreground as well.
I've just got a set of HiTeck hard grads and these seem much better.

Thank you all for your advice.

I've taken the plunge and just ordered myself a set of hitech filters. 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 Grad ND, and a 0.9 ND, along with holder and 2 filter adapters for my most used lenses.

No doubt my stream will be full of seaside sunset shots when they arrive :)

Thanks again

Thank you all for your advice.

I've taken the plunge and just ordered myself a set of hitech filters. 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 Grad ND, and a 0.9 ND, along with holder and 2 filter adapters for my most used lenses.

No doubt my stream will be full of seaside sunset shots when they arrive :)

Thanks again

Where did you order from? What make of holder?

I ordered from Teamwork Digital (www.teamworkphoto.com) and can't fault their service so far, ordered yesterday at about 3:30, arrived promptly this morning, brilliant.

I got the hitech holder, then a set of 3 ND Grad Hitechs and 1 0.9 ND, again hitech.

Here's a test picture i just took in the back garden

3680829939_d7741871ed.jpg

(yes I just noticed the dust :p), I can see i'm gonna have some fun with these. Thanks to you all for the advice.

Nice back garden!! :D I wouldn't like to be the one who has to mow your lawn though!!

Which holder did you get, the expensive aluminium one, or the cheap plastic one?

I got the hitech holder, then a set of 3 ND Grad Hitechs and 1 0.9 ND, again hitech.

3680829939_d7741871ed.jpg

Were these the soft or hard grad filters?

Also do you know if they would fit in a Cokin P holder?

Cheers.

Were these the soft or hard grad filters?

Also do you know if they would fit in a Cokin P holder?

Cheers.

They definitely fit the Cokin P as I've just replaced my Cokin filters with the same Hitec ones as here...for landscapes/seascapes you'll generally find the "hard" option best

simon

I used Hitech 85s on a Cokin P filter as well - found out the hard way that they are longer so would not fit in the Cokin box I bought on here :eek:

As to what were used in the examples, from looking at them I'd have to say Hard.

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll go for the cheaper Cokin P holder and adapters with the Hitech filters. A good combo without shelling out too much for the Lees.

Cheers. :)

HI,
sorry to bring this thread up again, i have had a couple Cokin filters for a while and never saw any colour cast, then i bought a couple more and noticed the magenta cast, so im now looking at getting some hitech ones, can anyone please confirm that if you stack the hitech filters that there is no colour cast?

Cheers

Chris.

Back