Needle and thread and a flower

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
Typically since building a new desktop setup for macro I've not had a chance to play with it due to illness and then work.
Here are a few test shots, firstly a needle and thread then some of a nasturtium.

u9y9p9o.jpg

LhjDHq7.jpg

uWMXFI5.jpg

jDLvPBm.jpg

Great set of images Dale, the needle & thread shot is a bit special.(y)

George.

The needle and thread is impressive, but I'd rather hang the second of the flower shots on my wall. I very much like the perspective and composition. It has a strangeness about it too, almost surreal to my eye. Perhaps there are alien tentacles waving around at the bottom. I don't know, my brain can't settle on an interpretation, can't make it out. A visual puzzle. I like that.

Typically since building a new desktop setup for macro

Love these, almost microscopic images, could you expand on what you rig is comprised of, perhaps a picture or two so we could better understand how you are achieving these?

Love these, almost microscopic images, could you expand on what you rig is comprised of, perhaps a picture or two so we could better understand how you are achieving these?
I'll sort out some images possibly tomorrow.
The flower was done with my sigma 105mm with kendo extension tubes. The needle was my first go with my new nikon lens objective attached to the above setup. It's going to be a very steep learning curve to improve my technique with the objective as depth of field is ridiculously small so I had to stack over 100 images for the needle image. I used a stackshot to make this job much easier especially compared to when I used to use a manual focus rail.

That sounds like a ridiculous amount of shots.

What aperture did you use?

That sounds like a ridiculous amount of shots.

What aperture did you use?
From memory I think it was around f/8 but I had my stackshot set to .025mm increments I think I've deleted the original photos now but I'll sort out something tomorrow to show how narrow the depth of field is. Stacking the photos at the magnification the objective gives is the only real option. I am however a total novice using this setup so I could be doing it all wrong, could be fun learning the right way though. :)

Is this a crop? All images?

May explain the amount of shots but if not I have shot smaller subjects with F11 and 1 shot was enough but to do a stack about 5-10 shots probably would surfice.

Is this a crop? All images?

May explain the amount of shots but if not I have shot smaller subjects with F11 and 1 shot was enough but to do a stack about 5-10 shots probably would surfice.

No these are uncropped images

Here are 3 I've just taken of the Inside of the eye of the needle and a steel ruler with 1/2mm increments so full size of image is slightly over 2.5 mm.

0f46sQq.jpg

R7lCdwR.jpg

obDZpDa.jpg

These are 3 taken with just my sigma and extension tubes.

mB7FriE.jpg

atvfQbc.jpg

ZjwRC3f.jpg

Now I'm completely confused a 105mm + full set of kenko doesn't give you a scene width of 2.5mm though you have taken a shot of the ruler at an angle so that calculation is incorrect. But still a single set of tubes and that lens doesn't give a scene width of under 5mm.

Are you using bellows or a double set of tubes?

I'll sort out some images possibly tomorrow.
The flower was done with my sigma 105mm with kendo extension tubes. The needle was my first go with my new nikon lens objective attached to the above setup.

I said the needle was done with a nikon lens objective attached to the sigma and kenko tubes. this is the objective Nikon 10x Plan Achromat Infinity Objective

Well I have learnt something new I didn't realise the microscope attachments where called objectives hence the statement was overly looked by me.

Sorry for my miss understanding, infact as I have no experience of such kit would you mind putting a little section on the we need you thread (sticky) about them.

Nice setup! As mentioned the needle and thread is particularly striking, but they are all a bit stunning tbh..

Could I ask about your lighting setup. I can see you have an ikea(?) lamp in there. Is that just for focusing? What are those two flash units?

Whenever I have done studio stacking before I have always used a tripod with the subject "balanced" somehow on the table. I like the board idea much better and maybe this is something I should look into doing. It look much better for packing away, and far more stable!

Nice setup! As mentioned the needle and thread is particularly striking, but they are all a bit stunning tbh..

Could I ask about your lighting setup. I can see you have an ikea(?) lamp in there. Is that just for focusing? What are those two flash units?

Whenever I have done studio stacking before I have always used a tripod with the subject "balanced" somehow on the table. I like the board idea much better and maybe this is something I should look into doing. It look much better for packing away, and far more stable!

Sorry for delay in replying I've been ill and busy with work so not had much spare time.
Yes the Ikea lamp is used for focusing and I have 3 SB-R200 flashes that are part of my R1C1 kit I can also add my SB900/600 flashes if I need to but I find the 3 SB-R200's are generally sufficient.
I also use either polystyrene tiles or 20oz chip cups to diffuse the light

Back