Neil Howard Stages @ Oulton Park

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like a good (if not very wet) day out

I'm by no means an expert in Motorsport, but i would suggest your shutter speeds may have been slightly too high on a couple of these shots (the Celica GT-4 and the 106 GTi) as you have frozen the wheel movement and they almost look like they are parked up, i presume the theory is similar to that of taking prop powered plane shots and keeping the shutter speed down slow enough to allow for the movement in the prop to be shown (some practice of a good panning technique required), otherwise they just look static, i would suggest somewhere around the 1/250th mark, but as said, i'm no expert in this particular field, more planes for me

Last edited:
Looks like a good (if not very wet) day out

Yeah it was a little damp! I was glad of the weather proofing on my new camera compared with the old 300D!

Thanks, I had previously had issues with focus & getting a sharp image with my previous camera (300D). Someone suggested a quicker shutter so I kept mostly to shutter priority started the day at a around 1/800 & did shoot quite a few at that kind of speed. I was still getting used to the new 7D somewhat also as this is the first motor sport event I've had it for.

The impreza above was about there with 250th but often there I found the camera was looking to f4 & the DoF wasn't as narrow which I was often trying for.

Hopefully I'll get this mastered next season as I've bought a season pass for Oulton Park!

Yeah, the Impreza looks spot on to my untrained motorsport eye

Out of interest, as it's something i would like to try next year, how do you go about getting access to the tracks for photography, are you just paying as a general spectator and shooting from where ever you can get access to, or do you have a special photography/press pass to get to areas not normally accessible

Good to see you started with the example from which they all should follow. :D

Yeah, the Impreza looks spot on to my untrained motorsport eye

Out of interest, as it's something i would like to try next year, how do you go about getting access to the tracks for photography, are you just paying as a general spectator and shooting from where ever you can get access to, or do you have a special photography/press pass to get to areas not normally accessible

It's very difficult to get media access to circuits due to the safety aspects of you having free roam. To get that you need to work for or get a publication to help you apply. All my shots are from general access to the paying spectators. The kind of shots you can get from that vary hugely depending on the track you're at.

As you can see from these, the view for a spectator at Oulton Park is very good and often close to the circuit & not restricted by fences. However I've also shot at Brands Hatch where there are a lot of fences and then the open, close sections like Druids corner get really busy with photographers.

Good to see you started with the example from which they all should follow. :D

haha, I thought I'd start out with the classic rally car of the Sega Rally generation despite being an impreza owner!! ;)

Should have been an ST165 then really ;)

Yeah the 165 is cool..... but I prefer my 205's! haha

Ha yeah everyone loves sega rally, that was a fantastic game in the arcades, that and Daytona! :D

An impreza owner eh, standard or slightly fettled?

Had the GTFour since I was 19 and it was imported..... 10 years ago now! :D Time flys!

Last edited:
Cheers Mark, might have to head over to Oulton some time next year and have a go myself, cheers for the info ;)

Yeah the 165 is cool..... but I prefer my 205's! haha

Ha yeah everyone loves sega rally, that was a fantastic game in the arcades, that and Daytona! :D

An impreza owner eh, standard or slightly fettled?

Had the GTFour since I was 19 and it was imported..... 10 years ago now! :D Time flys!

Nice, i was a Gen 5 ST182 man myself for some years (with Carlos Sainz bonnet and bumpers), can't beat pop up headlights :)

It's a standard RB320 so theres no need to fettle!

This is it last week while in North Wales;

trip-to-caernarfon-002.jpg
by marksweb, on Flickr

Nice clean motor there like but there is no Such thing as too much power! :D haha

I thought mine would be enough doing 60 in 5.5 stock... within 2 months the downhill slope began. haha

My brother and I are rather car addicts, however although mine is quite a machine his makes mine look like a little girls car.... partly due to the phenomenal amount of money he spent on the bomb proof internals being able to take the crazy abuse! haha

Ha I bet, but 4.8 to 60 (and 15ish MPG) is enough for me, I don't think I could change gear quick enough to warrant more power!

Plus it's still just as exciting as the first time I drove it each time I get in it.

Back