Neonate/newborn Adders (Vipera berus).

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
These images are of UK wild baby Adders/snakes, which i sighted/observed/photographed at a location in Kent.
Please do not PM/ask me for the exact location, where i observe these wild Adders.

Some photos then, all comments are welcome, cheers Paul.

Note- to appreciate the tiny size of these neonates, if coiled up, the snake could easily fit onto a 50mm lens cap!
I should also add, that at no point, did i handle/touch these stunning little beauties. All of my Adder photos (Ive been observing for several years now) are photographed, just as i find the snakes.

Neonate/Newborn Adder (uncropped). 16th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Neonate/Newborn Adder (uncropped). 12th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Neonate/Newborn Adder (uncropped). 8th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Neonate/Newborn Adder (uncropped). 16th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Neonate/Newborn Adder. 16th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's good to see some British snakes on here... what beautiful eyes it has and great finds but it sounds like you know where to find them.

Very good shots seems a little pee'd off with you in a couple though.

It's good to see some British snakes on here... what beautiful eyes it has and great finds but it sounds like you know where to find them.

Very good shots seems a little pee'd off with you in a couple though.

Cheers Bryn, these snakes are well known for having that pee'd off look about them. Its the shape of their "eyebrow type" area, it appears that they are frowning. Add their fantastic red/orange eye colour into the mix, and they have that fierce look about them.

Amazing find, would love to see wild snakes instead of the normal behind glass snake! Closet I've got is a slow worm.....

Great detail in the shots, what's your setup to get such a close view?

Every time I go out on Dartmoor I keep my fingers crossed that I manage to avoid getting close up and personal with an Adder ... and there's you going in deliberate search of them ya daft bugger. :D

Nice shots, by the way.

Amazing find, would love to see wild snakes instead of the normal behind glass snake! Closet I've got is a slow worm.....

Great detail in the shots, what's your setup to get such a close view?

Cheers for that, hey dont knock our Slow Worms, they are lovely reptiles too...Although i didnt see too many of them this season.

To get this close, i wouldnt use my D7100 with the 105mm macro lens, i dont like using live view on the Nikon...and it would be impractical/foolish to use the viewfinder at such a close range!
So i used my trusty ole 10 megapixel Panasonic FZ28 Bridge camera, with a raynox 250 macro lens attached. Its much easier to capture these kinds of shots, where you can have one eye on the screen, and the other eye on the venomous snake!

Note - Caution, and knowing your subject, should always be used, when photographing venomous snakes.

Every time I go out on Dartmoor I keep my fingers crossed that I manage to avoid getting close up and personal with an Adder ... and there's you going in deliberate search of them ya daft bugger. :D

Nice shots, by the way.

Cheers, Ive been observing these beautiful creatures for approx 5 years now, so yes, Im out there searching for em. ;)

Excellent series of shots, really like these creatures. Seems to be getting harder to find these stunners in their natural surroundings. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent series of shots, really like these creatures. Seems to be getting harder to find these stunners in their natural surroundings. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, and yes, its very difficult to sight them, especially as my location is Woodland!

Heres a sight you dont see everyday, i came across this adult male basking on a log, and look what was sharing the log with him...a couple of babies!
Not the best quality pic, but certainly a great moment/record shot.

Adult Male, plus 2 Neonate/Newborn Adders. 12th-September-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Back