NEW 7100 FOR OLDER D700

Have you got the glass to match the full frame D700? If you have then go for the D700 if wedding photography is your thing, it creams the D7100 in available low light pics, however having both those bodies I find myself using the D7100 80% of the time mainly due to its size and the fact its image quality is better than the D700 at normal low iso's imho

I currently use both the D7100 and D700 and shoot 95% out doors.

D7100 is great in good light and has better DR than D700 at base ISO imo, however living in the UK means I rarely shoot at base ISO. The highest I'll go with the D7100 is ISO 400 where as with the D700 I'll be prepared to go to ISO 1600-2000 if needs must. D7100 sharpness drops considerably beyond ISO 400 - it's fairly noticeable if you like large pics (I do), but if not then I'm sure you can contently go up to ISO 800.

D700 has better AF than D7100 - rarely hunts in poor light and gives a far better hit rate in continuous focus release mode in any given light. If you'll be shooting indoors, in poor light or without flash then D700 is definitely the way to go as it'll produce more keepers. If you want to get into wedding photography then D700 is the better option imo. My only gripes with D700 are it's clunky loud shutter and it could do with a bit more resolution.

I prefer the handling/weight of the D7100 and in good light it produces some fantastic shots. I have a love/hate relationship with D7100… and it's more hate than love! For low light or even in overcast conditions shooting I won't touch the D7100.

Last edited:
They are two different beasts for Weddings, but mostly due to the difference between FX & DX

I'd prefer to have 24mp over 12mp and also 2 card slots over just one (paranoia kicks in with Weddings lol), the newer D7100 also has a wider dynamic range which is again useful for white dresses and black suits

I shoot Weddings on the D7000 and I have no issue with higher ISO - I find I rarely need to go higher than 1000 ISO and wherever I do the pictures are almost always small in the album anyway. I have used it this year at a nose-bleedingly high 4000 ISO and yes it was noisy, then LR reduced that a lot and in print its really not an issue. Only us togs make a fuss over noise, and I still remember using my first 35mm film rated at 1600 ISO and how crap that was, way way worse than a digital camera

So if you prefer the look of FX over DX then get the D700. I know a few who used to have them and all loved it. But if the look from DX is even just acceptable I'd go with the D7100 all day long

Here's the DxO rating, which has the D7100 higher in all but ISO,where they are saying its pretty much a non-issue until 1256; but I really can't agree with stuartm1 over not using it above 400 ISO http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...s-Nikon-D7000-versus-Nikon-D700___865_680_441

Dave

Back