New baby coming, want to do shoot at home, what kit?

Name
Ali
Edit My Images
No
Guys, I have 3 months to get some kit together. I want to do a few shoots at home as soon as the little one is born. I have a 6D with 24-70 2.8 II L, 600RT flash and also a 580 EXii flash. Also have a 15mm 2.8, tripod etc. Should provide enough photography kit. What I need is some advice on what studio kit I should buy for a living room space at home. I have never really delved into studio stuff so I will need some guidance. Can you please recommend some affordable stuff I should be considering?

From what I know, I will need some sort of stands, backdrop, lights, props etc.

Can you please recommend brands, prices links etc so I can come up with the ultimate list of everything I would possible need?

WHat would be a bonus is if I can get some guidance on what sort of photos I should try to capture, possibly with some example?

Much appreciated.

You can just use your flashes and get some umbrellas. Checkout strobist website.

Paul, that wasnt helpful but thanks anyways.

Robert, do you think the current flashes would suffice? I thought lights would be better suited to studio work?

bet it would take more magical photos :p , but the cameras aren't great for close focus admittidly.

a lambancy or Gary Fong thing is good cheap and compact :)

Let me rephrase the question. What sort of studio kit should I aim for? I would like to get the best photos possible in a home studio set up.

Let me rephrase the question. What sort of studio kit should I aim for? I would like to get the best photos possible in a home studio set up.

See this thread in the Lighting section. You may be pleasantly surprised by how much you can do for very little money with studio flash these days. Way to go (y)
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lens-or-lighting.563629/#post-6529685

ps Speedlites also work well with studio heads, used in positions that play to their strengths.

It depends what type of studio shoot you are looking for. I have used the two pillow trick for a newborn before - put two pillows together, roll a sheet over the top quite tightly and this will still form a slight indent between the pillows perfect for a baby to lie in. I'd suggest you keep it simple and quick to set up to start with; babies take up a lot of time - more than you think! Good luck :)

Thanks Robert, will check this out.
Who's Robert?

Seriously, as Richard said there's been a few threads lately about starter studio kit in the lighting section.

I did my one and only newborn shoot recently with a single 120 octabox and the flash on minimum power.

A bean bag is helpful nice and easy to prop up not a fat one a long one or a u pillow I use. A big bit of material to cover it and to go behind so the colour stays continuous. I took some shots with a ps4 controller just something fun so think outside the box

Back