New big zoom advice needed

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

Been a little while since I've posted on here, but I know I can count on you guys for some sound advice.

After a decade with the same kit, I've finally reached a point where I can afford some new stuff, but I need to make it count.
I'm pretty much decided on the new body, but the main item I'll be getting is a big zoom, for wildlife stuff.

I've got two main contenders, both about the same price, but I'm not sure which to go for.
They are:
Canon 100-400 F4/5.6L
Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG HSM Optical Stabilised

For no particular reason (just a gut instinct I guess), I'm thinking the Canon, mainly because I've had good experiences with L lenses in the past, and spending a thousand pounds on a lens doesn't come naturally to me.

What do you think? Any other lenses I should consider?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dave

Cheers folks. The Tamron intrigues me, I've had two other Tamrons in the past and they've been great.

Anyone had much experience with these lenses? They all get pretty good reviews. Just wondering if anyone has any field experience with them.

Although I haven't tried the Tamron 150-600. I have the 24-70 vc and the 70-200 vc and both are great lenses. I also have the sigma 150-500 which I have been really pleased with. I'm looking forward to seeing what the reviews on the sigma 150-600 is like

There are 2 new Sigma 150 - 600's, sport and contemporary. Sport is retailing at about £1600, no word on the pricing for the contemporary, which will be cheaper. These will, hopefully, push the price of the new Tamron 150 - 600 downwards and a bit of competition may be useful for us users :banana:

If you have time, I'd wait a month or so, to see how things pan out.

It would be good to know what you intend to use the lens for, then we could suggest the best option based on your intended subjects :) For some things over 500mm or 600mm may just be too much :)

There are 2 new Sigma 150 - 600's, sport and contemporary. Sport is retailing at about £1600, no word on the pricing for the contemporary, which will be cheaper. These will, hopefully, push the price of the new Tamron 150 - 600 downwards and a bit of competition may be useful for us users :banana:

If you have time, I'd wait a month or so, to see how things pan out.

That's good to know. I've waited years, so another month won't hurt :)

It would be good to know what you intend to use the lens for, then we could suggest the best option based on your intended subjects :) For some things over 500mm or 600mm may just be too much :)

Mostly wildlife. In fact, I'd say 90% wildlife. Hoping to get out to do some falconry experiences, and maybe out on one of the many safari experiences out there in the next couple of years. Other than that, whatever British wildlife I can get to. We holiday in Scotland a lot, so stag, birds of prey, that sort of stuff.

Sounds like the greater reach will be useful to you then :) As others have said, if there are new developments coming, it might be good to hold on a short while if there's no rush :)

Had a 150-500 which was a great lens, now use a 120-300 and 2X You can never have too much reach. The 50-500 is reputed to be a tad sharper than the 150-500, although with the new Tamron and Sigma 150-600 |I would be inclined to hang on for a bit.

I have owned both the 100-400 IS and the 50-500 OS and I found myself reaching for the 50-500mm much more often. The pictures were sharp through the range and the massive range was great for pretty much everything. I'd really recommend it. TBH I doubt the extra 100mm at the long end on these new 600mm lens would be significant but it'll depend if you'd prefer the extra width or length.

Another possibility might be the 120-300 sigma with a 2x TC. A lot of versatility there.

Thanks everyone, that's been really helpful for me. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

I had the Sigma 150-500 and used it mainly on wildlife but swapped it for the 50-500 after finding the 150 wasn't wide enough for the inevitable close-up opportunity. Results are excellent, though auto-focus at 500mm on the Vulcan at Duxford this weekend was slow a couple of times due to the grey(ish) plane against a grey(ish) sky at a couple or three miles out! No problem with the Red Arrows.

I've got a Sigma 150-500 OS and a Canon 100-400 L IS and use them both regularly on both my 5D3 and 70D and to be honest there isn't a great deal of difference between them for image sharpness. Both are fairly fast to focus, I can get small birds in flight with both bodies and both lenses and the f5.6 /f6.3 difference is negligible when out in the field as well. I usually use the 100-400 on the 70D and the 150-500 on my 5D3 when out as that maximises my reach best for me.

I'd like to try the Tamron 150-600 and the new Sigma 150-600 to see if either are better than my current lenses but a lot of people have said my Sigma is a cracking lens so I'd be loathe to exchange it. There's lots of shots from my 150-500 on my Flickr site if you wish to have a look.

I'd recommend the Sigma 100-300 f4, cracking lens, and you can normally pick up a clean copy in canon mount for around £300-400

Another sigma 150-500 recommendation here. Gets a bit heavy after a days use but get and op tech strap and its loads better. It has two stages of IS, full and just vertical for panning. If I got to the zoo now I just use that lens.

I had the Sigma 150-500mm from Amazon and sent it strait back, I was so disappointed and really wanted to like it but it was just far too soft for my liking. I then bought the Tamron 150-600mm which is better in every way, in my opinion, than the Sigma but then it is also quite a bit more expensive. Great lens, sharp even at full zoom. My main subject is wildlife and since putting it on my camera it hasn't come off.

Back