New bugs

Wow I like No 7, great shot Icy.
All great as it goes, No 2 is a little bright tbh
Id for No 4, ewwww lol
All great tho.
well done and thanks for sharing

Brilliant stuff Icy. You are finding some amazing critters at the moment, and I really love the compositions you are getting (particularly the ladybird).

Number 4 is a plant bug nymph I think, but it may grow up to be some other member of the Hemiptera group.

Wow I like No 7, great shot Icy.
All great as it goes, No 2 is a little bright tbh
Id for No 4, ewwww lol
All great tho.
well done and thanks for sharing

Thanks Graham:) I think no.2 is bit too bright as well but then I was lazy to PP it again after I came out from lightroom:p

Ok, I will get the ID of No 4 as ewwww:D

Brilliant stuff Icy. You are finding some amazing critters at the moment, and I really love the compositions you are getting (particularly the ladybird).

Number 4 is a plant bug nymph I think, but it may grow up to be some other member of the Hemiptera group.

Thanks Tim. I am trying to get different compositions to make the photos look better.I was really lucky to find all those little guys, just hope I can keep seeing them later in the winter.

Great set of images with very good composition. I like them all very much but feel #2 is not up to the same standard as the others (looks a little of focus to me). Other than that great stuff.(y)

George.

Thanks George:) No.2 is a bit OOF but wanted to show the motion of the leafhopper, as normally I am able to see them lying on a leaf only, without other position. I was lucky to find all those bugs today so I am very happy:D

Cool find on the bugs... its not stopped raining around my way so not been out to find some autumn bugs.

#7 is my fav

Nice set! Some of those really are quite small. And you didn't even post the smallest one, the springtail (Yes, I've been looking at them at Flickr. The bigger versions look good. I particularly liked #7 for the composition and colours, and the visual fit between the subject and the environment.)

Looking at #2, I'm thinking you may have a dust spot on your sensor.

Nice set! Some of those really are quite small. And you didn't even post the smallest one, the springtail (Yes, I've been looking at them at Flickr. The bigger versions look good. I particularly liked #7 for the composition and colours, and the visual fit between the subject and the environment.)

Looking at #2, I'm thinking you may have a dust spot on your sensor.

Thanks Nick:)

I notice the dust spot for a while, may you point me to the right direction how to clean it? Will it be adequate by using the camera sensor cleaning thing?

may you point me to the right direction how to clean it? Will it be adequate by using the camera sensor cleaning thing?

There are several methods you can try. For each of these methods I have read people saying that they don't work, and have read people saying they do work. To see what a variety of opinions there are you can search on this site for "sensor cleaning" and find threads like this one for example.

1. You can try to blow the dust off with a blower like this.

2. You can get a sensor cleaning brush, like this.

3. You can get a special (and really expensive) sensor cleaning brush like this that charges up with static electricity that attracts dust particles.

4. You can get sensor cleaning kits like this. You put a little fluid on one of the pads and wipe it across the sensor.

5. You can get a sensor loupe like this to let you see the dust spots on the sensor. If you don't have this you have to capture images of a blank wall or piece of paper with a small aperture (e.g. f/22) to see if there are still any dust spots after you have tried cleaning the sensor.

6. You can pay £50 or more to have the sensor cleaned.

I would suggest trying #1 and/or #2 first, and then #4 if that doesn't work.

The rest of this is just my experience, which doesn't seem to be typical, so to be honest is probably best ignored. I just include it so you know where I'm coming from on this subject.

I have had terrible problems with dust spots. It is a real problem for me because I do use very small apertures quite a lot.

#1 I have a blower. It hasn't worked for me.

#2 I haven't tried a sensor cleaning brush.

#3 I have only just found out about this. I'm not ready to spend that amount of money yet, especially when I read that if the brush touches the edge of the sensor it can pick up grease with can then make matters worse. The thing is, the spots on my sensor are often very near the edges.

#4 I have used several of these kits. With ten pads in each, that means I have tried 30 or 40 times to clean the sensor this way. (Yes, I have lost count). I have thought a couple of times that the sensor really was clean, but each time I pretty soon realised that it wasn't. I am awaiting delivery of yet another of these kits.

Sometimes the pads seem to leave quite large "hairs" on the sensor - I assume they are fibres that come off of the pads, which result in really nasty marks like the one here on the left of this crop.

Fibre on sensor - IMG_5723 Crop
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

In this case I think the fibre must have been left in the camera after one of the cleaning attempts, but wasn't on the sensor when I took the final f/22 test shot of a blank piece of paper, and then a bit later when I was using the camera normally it moved on to the sensor.

#5 I have just ordered a sensor loupe (I have only just found out that they exist). I intend to use it in combination with the cleaning pads. If that doesn't work I may try #3. Or I may just give up.

#6 I have been very dubious about trying this as I suspect that either it won't be completely effective or, if it is, I'll quite soon get some more dust spots, for example if I change the lens on the camera. And keeping paying £50+ and not having the camera for a couple of weeks each time doesn't appeal to me at all.

I got so frustrated with all this that I recently considered getting rid of the Canon 70D. I have changed lenses plenty of times with my Panasonic G3 and never had any problems with dust, and I got some lovely flower pictures with it. But after trying my Panasonic G3 again I realised just how much I do like using the 70D for flowers, and how much I like the results (apart from the dust and fibres on the sensor). I then tried an extreme manoeuvre which I strongly advise against trying as it could well damage your camera (but I was desperate and was ready, quite literally, to throw the camera in the bin at that stage if I did damage it). I used our vacuum cleaner to try and suck the dust out of the camera. I actually got the best results doing that, but I still couldn't get it completely dust free. It is an ongoing story.

@GardenersHelper don't waste your money on #3 as you can charge #2 manually by using a blower on it the bristles create static charge doing the same thing for a lot cheaper.

Works wonders too imho.

It says that on the manual of the brush I bought. :)

Thanks Nick for the tips and advises:plus1:

I will try to do a sensor clean from the camera setting first, then move my way up to the options given above.

The dust spots are annoying:mad:

Last edited:
@GardenersHelper don't waste your money on #3 as you can charge #2 manually by using a blower on it the bristles create static charge doing the same thing for a lot cheaper.

Works wonders too imho.

It says that on the manual of the brush I bought. :)

Thanks Bryn.

So you just blow on the brush with something like the Giottos Rocket?

Which brush have you got?

Do you go right to the edge of the sensor with the brush? (I'm thinking about the oil issue that I've read about, and the fact that I've got to go to the edge because that's where some of the dust spots are.)

I tend to leave dust spots and clean them up with the healing brush in Lightroom. That is until they become unbearable and I give the sensor a good blow with a rocket blower. Sometimes this makes things worse, so I might try this a few times before I get the sots under reasonable control. Usually the spots are around the edges so rarely impact the subject, but I try to keep cleaning to a minimum. If you just have one or two, i'd be tempted to leave them as there is a chance you could make it worse (like I usually do) if you attempt to clean them.

Thanks Bryn.

So you just blow on the brush with something like the Giottos Rocket?

Which brush have you got?

Do you go right to the edge of the sensor with the brush? (I'm thinking about the oil issue that I've read about, and the fact that I've got to go to the edge because that's where some of the dust spots are.)

I'll dig out the brush I have... to build the static charge you just use a rocket blower about 7 good blasts is enough.

I did go to the edge and had no issues though I haven't heard of this oil issue though I have never touched the bristles so fingers crossed no oil on there.

Back