New camera + WA, help!!

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

I have been agonising for some time over a new camera for taking on my travels. I am going to the northern coast of Colombia for 2 months and want a camera that will do me proud. Some of the landscapes there are vast, ranging from sea level up to 5000m. I really want a wideangle lens for shooting landscapes and another lens for roaming.

I had settled on a D90 + 18 - 105mm lens and a Tokina 11 - 16mm. I am beginning to have second thoughts about the Tokina. As I am working offshore in Brazil and having the camera brought out by a colleague, I won't get the chance to see if everything is in working order. Furthermore if there are any problems I will not be able to return them until 2010. After reading about the Tokina quirks and possible dodgy lenses I am wary about buying one. The Nikon equivalent though is a little out of my price range.

This got me thinking about going down the Canon route. A cheaper body and the 10 - 22mm lens could be good but I don't know too much about the Canon range.

I have read reviews of the Sigma 10 - 22 (i think) and it seems a bit hit and miss, likewise with the Tamron equivalent.

I have rather hit a brick wall and would appreciate any input. I am not an experienced photographer but I would like to get the best possible kit I can afford. Budget is between £1000 - £1500 maximum.

Many thanks and regards from the Southern Atlantic!

Thanks for your suggestion. If I were to go down the D300 route I feel I would be limiting myself to wide angle only...as I could not afford anything else on top of that!

I'm starting to think I would rather get a cheaper body and better lenses. I intend on taking low light shots. Might get away with a D5000. Still, not an easy choice at all. Perhaps a prime for landscapes rather than small zooms. Decisions decisions...!

or get a good tripod with a good head for taking panoramas. Cheaper and more versatile probably.

Back