New diffuser

Edit My Images
Yes
I made myself a Pringles tube diffuser yesterday as the quality of light I was getting with the simple pixco diffuser was in definite need of improvement. It has really improved the quality of the shots ( I feel ). I am able to drop the ISO down and even if I don't, the noise has drastically reduced allowing me to make much lager crops without too much quality loss.

Here was a spider on my computer room floor. I was amazed I could crop quite a fair bit.

Evil looking house spider.
by T0P cat, on Flickr

Eight eyes and two red fangs.
by T0P cat, on Flickr

And a much better white light cast for these two.

Thomas Cunningham.jpg
by T0P cat, on Flickr

The Tattooist,
by T0P cat, on Flickr

Really nice set. The pringles tube diffusers are great, I've just made another so that'll be tried out this weekend. Thanks for sharing your test shots.

Have you got image of the setup?

Looks great certainly better lighting.

No Tintin! I have not taken one( I can do if you want )It is how you would imagine it to be though, not quite a right angle but not far off in the middle of the tube then I have fixed the pixco diffuser on the end with the white plastic sheet replaced with two sheets of the packaging you get around TV,s when boxed. I am not happy with the tight angle on the tube but I wanted the diffuser section to be right at the point of the lens with a 45 ish degree angle towards the subject.

That would be good... Think @Carlh unwound the pringle tube to make the angle of his that would reduce the tightness of squishing.

Could do a @TimmyG and put an ice cream tub on end. :)

Yes, I read today somewhere about him unwinding the tube, that sounds interesting. Hopefully I will have my horizontal setup in place for the weekend. I have been waiting for a PC sync cord to arrive. And I will be breaking out the Tupperware then. My problem then will be manual flash instead of TTL. I have not tried it yet and it might be to much for my little brain.

Does anyone on here use manual flash for moving subjects.

Do you use a light meter or just learn to gauge it with experience.

Light meter is pointless by time you have shot flash and metered the bug will be gone could do it with non movable objects like flowers. Also bear in mind that the light meter is likely lot larger than your subject.

Also can't really advise you on it as it depends on Flash used and diffusion type and setup (including camera).

Saying that for my reversed setup I use 1/32 power as the go too and shoot once check depending on focal length and focus setting and change up and down by 2/3rds to compensate. This may not work for your setup.

Ok Thanks for the advice, i guess i will just have to trial and error, until i can guage it through experience.

Excellent diffusion. That last shot is gorgeous.

Back