NEW IMAGES... Raynox 202 + 90mm Tamron + Kenko 1.4x Converter

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Well my 1.4x Teleconverter arrived yesterday so thought I'd give it a go with Raynox and my Tammy (set to Infinity) and have a play thinking it would give me a little more working room.

Shot in the dark with a torch (small lithium battery thing) handheld (the battery was dying so not very bright) whilst using same hand to hold camera, considering my small hands this was an achievement.

Suspect it did give me a little working room but didn't stop me destroying the poor spiders web hence why I went onto more boring subjects.

Spider-Raynox+1.4x Teleconverter
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Leaf-Raynox+1.4x Teleconverter
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Leaf2-Raynox+1.4x Teleconverter
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Now need to work a way of getting my ring flash mounted around the raynox, I say around cause I don't want to increase length of setup any more, was think maybe using pipe insulation around the raynox and ring flash mounted to that. Will have a play and update you with results.

All above pictures edited in Ifranview as only .CR2 software I have on my work Lappy. So not really looking for Critique on images just more to show you guys what to expect from above setup.

Also Note Flickr now shows the Lens length to be 126mm which is awesome.

Bryn - I am enjoying you sharing your macro journey as I never looked at this section until a month or so ago & it is quite addictive - my post count has risen a lot thanks to the section :eek: The bonus of a really friendly set of folks all will to share their findings :clap:

Bryn - I am enjoying you sharing your macro journey as I never looked at this section until a month or so ago & it is quite addictive - my post count has risen a lot thanks to the section :eek: The bonus of a really friendly set of folks all will to share their findings :clap:

I couldn't have said it better myself! ( apart from the post count thing as i talk so much waffle anyway):D

Good results I would say. Seems to be able to retain plenty of detail. I'm intrigued to know what magnification you can now get to. Have you got a ruler you can take some shots of?

You went for the kenko teleconverter right? What are your impressions of it so far? Value for money?

Edit: Doh, just read the thread title. Kenko indeed :)

Last edited:
Good results I would say. Seems to be able to retain plenty of detail. I'm intrigued to know what magnification you can now get to. Have you got a ruler you can take some shots of?

You went for the kenko teleconverter right? What are your impressions of it so far? Value for money?

Edit: Doh, just read the thread title. Kenko indeed :)

Hahaha... to Edit...

So far so good looking online at other reviews they say it up optically with the Canon ones and from what I have achieved I would tend to agree. You can get it cheap on digitalrev, I haven't noticed a massive difference in the distance I can get away from the critters but we are only talking an extra 30mm of focal length.

I'm intrigued to know what magnification you can now get to. Have you got a ruler you can take some shots of? For this you will have to wait for winter break as I want to do the full kit comparison with the various combinations I can have. Unless a raining day with me having free time comes earlier, I will try.

Edit: Dam it you make me want to know now... Just figuring out how to set it up to give accurate results and its a good excuse to open the mag slider box o_O

Last edited:
I caught these on your Flickr earlier, excellent stuff!

Ok had some time in the garden and with flash setup as above with title set up I took a few experiment shots to see what difference it would make using focusing ring on Tamron. Likely I had a very obliging lacewing who put up with me annoying it by constantly tapping the shed window it was resting on.

With this setup it requires me to be no more than 3-4cm's away from subject so can be very difficult. Though think ring flash is the way to go for this type of close up. As per @TimmyG request Bugs....

No Crop, No Editing only exposure changed (mostly -1 or -0.8)

1. Tamron set to Infinity

Lacewing Raynox experiment_noediting-3
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Tamron set to 1:5 ish

Lacewing Raynox experiment_noediting-4
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. Tamron set to 1:1.2 ish

Lacewing Raynox experiment_noediting-5
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Tamron set to 1:1

Lacewing Raynox experiment_noediting-6
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Think I might leave the raynox alone for the moment and pull it out when nice small subjects come out... though I have a lovely green bettle (dead) I need to shot for measurement purposes which I will post in another thread.

Bryn it would be remiss of me not to say thanks again for sharing your finding with some good examples :)

Bryn it would be remiss of me not to say thanks again for sharing your finding with some good examples :)

No problems I like playing and thank heavens for the forum as an outlet to my crazy thinking. I really like the raynox and it has added another string to my bow but think I will have to put it down for a little while. There are some big bugs to capture at moment saw a beautiful hornet/wasp in garden but as I had raynox it let me no where near. :(

Bryn I officially declare you a Geek - you need to see a shrink to sort your addiction :p

Excellent stuff, you are approaching collembola portrait zone then :)

Not bad at all. Hey where did that beetle come from and how come you haven't stacked it yet?

Excellent stuff, you are approaching collembola portrait zone then :)

Not bad at all. Hey where did that beetle come from and how come you haven't stacked it yet?

That beetle was found dead in one of our wedding vases. Was thinking of a stack but accidentally knocked off 4 legs, so thought no point.

I can handle that john as long as im not a nerd!!!

Naw I'll stick with Geek as Nerd sounds rude :clap:

From Wiki

The word geek is a slang term originally used to describe eccentric or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from an expert or enthusiast to a person heavily interested in a hobby

Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating that a person is overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities

Back