New Landscape lens for a 1D Mkii

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

having trouble trying to decide what lens to get that will work well with my 1D, crop sensor with EF only mount, any suggestions?

Been looking at the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Sigma 12-24 and possibly if I can find one I can afford a 17-40 F4L

What do you think? Any help greatly appreciated

Phil

I use a 17-40 for a lot of my landscapes and have used it on a 1D2, where it worked well.

I'm pretty sure the 11-16 is designed for 1.6x crop sensors, the 1D2 is a 1.3x crop.

The 17-40 is very good, light, sharp and not terribly dear. The corners are soft but unless you get into much more exotic options (Zeiss Distagon, Canon TSE etc) at much more money that is a hazard. The good news is your 1D2 should avoid the majority of these corners.

17-40L would be my recommendation depending on your budget. I have one and enjoy it although im considering selling and going for a 24-70 instead.

I had the Sigma 12-24 and it was just too wide for my liking. I would not bother with the 16-35 unless you have the money for landscaping since most likely you would be on a tripod and stopping the lens down.

I use a 17-40 on a Mark 2 and find that range on the 1.3 crop to be a nice combo.

Back