New Ricoh Pentax K-S1

As a K-01 owner it doesn't surprise me if it's a bit whacky looking, at least it's got a viewfinder.

Just checked it is August 19th not April 1st

Last edited:
As a K-01 owner it doesn't surprise me if it's a bit whacky looking, at least it's got a viewfinder.
He He, it's what stopped me getting one, there are a lot however that swear by those things, seen some lovely shots out of em too, quirky, unconventional, definitely not pretty but it does the job! I've just bought my old K3 back, the single digit K series is the Camera series, I have ended up hating the least, when I get my Nikon Lenses sold I'll actually be able to put some Jam Jars on it, K3 sat in the office with no lens Boo Hoo!
On a lighter note and more on topic, I think it's good that they are trying different things but if they are going for a slim Nex/Alpha look, perhaps an EVF would have been better but that would not be Pentax would it? They need to clean up/shrink that kit lens, as it looks pretty awkward sat on there.:confused:

As long time Pentax user (and Ex K-3 owner) I have to say that is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I thought Newson and his K-01 was bad, I thought Pentax couldn't produce anything worse looking .... but they proved me wrong yet again.

At least Newson never put colour lights in the handgrip!:D
It's like the guy that thought of putting lights in car bumpers, he wants shot too!
Fugly it is, Pentax make another fugly...

I don't mind the looks, but that hard edge on the handgrip is not going to be good, and the LEDs shout AMATEUR. Is there a chance they've put any 'must have' features into it?

I remember all the WTF quotes when the K-01 was announced, I wonder if history will repeat.

Well I guess I'm fifty so probably classed as a bit of an old fuddy duddy these days, the lights are quirky and will appeal to the far east market but not this side of the Atlantic I'd say. Unless they have a definite function, which at the moment I'm at a loss to see, blinking green to make you smile eh? It seems very much geared towards the young Asian market and why not It's Ricoh's largest slice of the pie. The styling is actually quite attractive I think, I agree that un-contoured grip side looks uncomfortable but then it's definitely not a gear heads camera, not nearly enough buttons for photography forums!;)
If they really wanted to make it attractive/trendy looking, it needs something doing with that kit lens, on such a clean styled body it needs to be the same, it just looks really lumpy on the front of that poor K-S1. I am assuming it's to draw people in to photography and for a first time buyer/ Newbie photographer, the look of the thing is really important, especially to the young uns.

Back