New shot (green screen and edit content)

Name
Will Ainsworth
Edit My Images
No
did a shoot this week using a chroma key background and recorded the edit process, thought it might interest some of you? have quite a few images from this shoot - fashion and some sports stuff too, so will upload them once complete

Final Image
15738677052_fa785c3511_b.jpg

more added:

15760115311_958fe24a57_b.jpg

15576140489_017619bb6a_h.jpg

15762193385_559d13a49a_h.jpg

15702694507_f8ec6ce2cf_h.jpg

15702422849_8697050bd0_h.jpg

15877109036_878c3fa8f7_h.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent, best thing I've seen on here for ages!

Name of the soundtrack?

@will_ainsworth

Can I ask why you used green? Its caused a great deal of green light to be reflected back onto his skin, which you've then had to correct. Shooting on a grey background prevents this totally. There's not really a need to shoot on a green screen for still photography. Green was chosen for TV work because green is complementary of human skin tones, so that's fair enough, but your green background here is way too bright, and you're actually getting green rim lighting around your model. There's no reason a background has to be green for this kind of work though. What you're doing is NOT Chroma Keying or CSO in video. You're MANUALLY masking your model off, so all you need is a clean edge. A grey background would have saved you a great deal of work.

A great deal of your layer mask work could have been automated with refine edge. With all these clean edges, and no long hair, refine edge would have got to to an almost perfect mask in seconds, and your manual mask refinement would have been much less.

Finished result works well though, and the lighting on the model is nice... sits well with the chosen scene.

@will_ainsworth

Can I ask why you used green? Its caused a great deal of green light to be reflected back onto his skin, which you've then had to correct. Shooting on a grey background prevents this totally. There's not really a need to shoot on a green screen for still photography. Green was chosen for TV work because green is complementary of human skin tones, so that's fair enough, but your green background here is way too bright, and you're actually getting green rim lighting around your model. There's no reason a background has to be green for this kind of work though. What you're doing is NOT Chroma Keying or CSO in video. You're MANUALLY masking your model off, so all you need is a clean edge. A grey background would have saved you a great deal of work.

A great deal of your layer mask work could have been automated with refine edge. With all these clean edges, and no long hair, refine edge would have got to to an almost perfect mask in seconds, and your manual mask refinement would have been much less.

Finished result works well though, and the lighting on the model is nice... sits well with the chosen scene.

i do get what you mean, and i do sometimes shoot on a grey background for this kind of thing, however this set included a few different shots and at the time i hadn't thought about the backgrounds, having the green reflect back on to the skin is something i actually kind of like. maybe not so much for this image, but on the others I will be creating; i can change the tones very easily from green to say blue without damaging the original skin colour and tones. reflections aren't going to be a greyish offwhite in many instances as skin reflects colour of the persons surroundings so its almost a advantage to have the green shine back on skin when my backgrounds are going to include vivid colours as i can simply adjust the colour to suit the background... hope that makes sense!

Just read what I posted.... sounds a bit harsh.. didn't mean to. Excellent work... just curious why green is all.

Loving this image. Not watched the video yet. :)

Gaz

So wish I could use photoshop as easily as you obviously can. Great image, enjoyed watching the video.

Hi Will, first of all I'd like to take my hat off to you sir, you know your way round photoshop and the techniques used to produce the image are spot on. Nice work mate. Although fully agree with the green screen, gray is the way forward for subjects that need to be masked. I prefer manual masking for my composites, it adds a little bit of time to your work but at least you have confidence your mask is correct all the way round.

But.... and I really don't want to appear harsh, the foreground to background doesn't seem to match. I think it's the perspective as a starter, also the quality of the light is different as he is all shiny and the rest isn't, well the front water sort of but the back water isn't plus the floor is just too evenly lit. I think the sky background light source it kind of off to the left and back, but the model's light source is left almost on-axis and to the front.

It's good work though but with composites it's important to match this kind of detail, which I think isnt exactly 100% here with this one. Look forward to seeing more work!

Hi Will, first of all I'd like to take my hat off to you sir, you know your way round photoshop and the techniques used to produce the image are spot on. Nice work mate. Although fully agree with the green screen, gray is the way forward for subjects that need to be masked. I prefer manual masking for my composites, it adds a little bit of time to your work but at least you have confidence your mask is correct all the way round.

But.... and I really don't want to appear harsh, the foreground to background doesn't seem to match. I think it's the perspective as a starter, also the quality of the light is different as he is all shiny and the rest isn't, well the front water sort of but the back water isn't plus the floor is just too evenly lit. I think the sky background light source it kind of off to the left and back, but the model's light source is left almost on-axis and to the front.

It's good work though but with composites it's important to match this kind of detail, which I think isnt exactly 100% here with this one. Look forward to seeing more work!

good points, thanks - its only the 2nd comp ive done, i actually lit the model from the far left so tried to match the light (the shadows on his neck kinda show that. agree with the light on water and floor etc though might revise these later at some point.

anyway a few more from the set

15760115311_958fe24a57_b.jpg

15576140489_017619bb6a_h.jpg

15762193385_559d13a49a_h.jpg

enjoyed watching the vid, lot of work went into it. i may be missing the obvious but why the split tone in the sea or is it one of those infinity pools overlooking the sea. Great model too

Broadcast studio setup we had at my last place had green and blue for chroma keying. Mostly used the blue as it was easy to key.

Not sure why it took sooooooo long to come back and watch the video but I just viewed it. Was amazing to see the steps taken. Fab fab fab.

Gaz

Back