New Sigma 150-600

Just got my Tamron 150-600 yesterday i guessed they would do it but not this quick

:eek:
id of thought they would of gone for 620mm or 650mm
but i think it was /is a important catagory for sigma

Could be an interesting len's .
Rob.

Nice to see another lens dropping into that void between the £1k and £5k superteles- but I'd have preferred to see a new 500mm prime personally. I'm guessing this' ll be about £2.5k- can't see it being much cheaper than the 120-300 s.

Last edited:
A bit disappointed with this, was also hoping for a new 500 or 600 f4, will definitely buy the new TCs to use with my 120-300 though

I recently bought the Sigma 150-500mm from amazon and was very disappointed with it and sent it strait back. It was very soft at the 500mm end which, let's face it, is the focal length it is bought for or you could buy a cheaper, shorter lens. It also wasn't spectacular at any other length either.
I then bought the Tamron 150-600mm and it is far superior to the Sigma, sharp no matter what range it's used at and just feels better built too.
Ok I may have had a bad version of the Sigma but reading around the Internet if I did so have a lot of other people too.
If Sigma wants to compete with Tamron with the same zoom range then in my experience they will have to up their game considerably.
Also as has been mentioned above, why don't one of the third party manufacturers bring out a decent long fast prime. The market is obviously there for one.

I recently bought the Sigma 150-500mm from amazon and was very disappointed with it and sent it strait back. It was very soft at the 500mm end which, let's face it, is the focal length it is bought for or you could buy a cheaper, shorter lens. It also wasn't spectacular at any other length either.
I then bought the Tamron 150-600mm and it is far superior to the Sigma, sharp no matter what range it's used at and just feels better built too.
Ok I may have had a bad version of the Sigma but reading around the Internet if I did so have a lot of other people too.
If Sigma wants to compete with Tamron with the same zoom range then in my experience they will have to up their game considerably.
Also as has been mentioned above, why don't one of the third party manufacturers bring out a decent long fast prime. The market is obviously there for one.

The thing is, the 150-500 is a (relatively) cheap lens, you get what you pay for it's just that peoples expectations are different.

Sigma are more than capable of making very good lenses but to do that you have to charge more. You can see this is their new strategy, rather than make cheap lenses they are making good lenses that the OE manufacturers should be making but aren't.

Isn't AF at the long end going to be an issue with most bodies?

Not really, most can cope with f/6.3 - certainly my old D90 didn't have an issue.

In dim light with low contrast subjects it may struggle but generally it should be fine.

Looking at Sigma's current strategy, this should knock spots off the Tamron. Can't wait to see images from it. Just hope price is around the same as the Tamron.

Yeah Tamron have produced some good lenses recently but Sigma have really stepped up their game to a whole new level.

6.3 is ok,id be more concerned about the weight. But yeah I'm expecting alot from it too, that weight is more glass mostly, and that should mean better iq. And all? Their recent stuff has been best in class hasn't it?

Looking at Sigma's current strategy, this should knock spots off the Tamron. Can't wait to see images from it. Just hope price is around the same as the Tamron.

With the extra glass, I'd be surprised if they could bring it in, at the Tamron price.

One nice side effect, is that it should bring the Tamron price down.

Sigma have really upped their game at the moment.
I'd go as far as to say, they're better than nikon now.
Anyone want to buy my 58mm f1.4g? Lol

Nice to see another lens dropping into that void between the £1k and £5k superteles- but I'd have preferred to see a new 500mm prime personally. I'm guessing this' ll be about £2.5k- can't see it being much cheaper than the 120-300 s.
There was some talk of some big primes either early this year or late last year on Canon Rumours. Still time though, they might be announcing this now and a big lens at Photokina.

Being a 24-105 Art owner, and seeing the new sigma first hand, I'd certainly consider something in 4/5/600 range should one pop up. I love my Nikon 300 2.8 but the prices for on brand big lenses are just getting crazy now on the new generations. 30%+ seems to be a normal price jump making any now lens closer to £10k where most are closer to £5k right now. I know there's some age related price drops in effect but the superteles aren't as affected as other lenses.

I think there new lenses are designed with foveon in mind, and future ones too, and those are roughly d800 quality but apsc size...

there's more than that :p, but the sd1 would be the most demanding camera, and its followups too, and they are trying to attract people to the system, and keep them there too. So making super sharp lenses makes sense.the sensor helps a ton in devlopment I bet, resolves so much detail...

I'd be interested in a 600 f/6.3 prime. Lose the zoom, the complex mechanics, concentrate on making the 600 end stellar. For 1/10 of the price of a 600/4, I bet there's a huge number of us who'd pay for the reach at the expense of the aperture. After all, given the target market, isn't this really a 600mm lens with a sighting mechanism built in?

300-600mm const. aperture zoom would be a nice compromise. 600mm sharpness is what really matters, and many people still rate 400 5.6L better even after extrapolation. We'll see if Sigma can get closer.

I'd be interested in a 600 f/6.3 prime. Lose the zoom, the complex mechanics, concentrate on making the 600 end stellar. For 1/10 of the price of a 600/4, I bet there's a huge number of us who'd pay for the reach at the expense of the aperture. After all, given the target market, isn't this really a 600mm lens with a sighting mechanism built in?

I like your idea that the zoom is there as a "sighting mechanism".

depending on price and weight\ size id prefer a 4.5 prime and have the option of a 1.4 tc and retain af

One is a direct competitor for the Tamron,possibly a bit cheaper

On Dpreview they say the tamron is priced at £950, it's more like £1200 for Nikon on amazon at least.

It'll be interesting to see the price of the sigma #2 offering. They'll have had plenty of time to check out tamron's and improve on it.

Last edited:
Just got my Tamron last week,£945 local dealer

Back