New Sigma 150-600

That's a decent price, I doubt the sigma will be any cheaper. I paid about that for my Nikon 300 f4 and then another 300 for a 1.4x TC

Last edited:
Ooh nice *checks* ... nope, still too broke :D

Dang I'd love to have a go at that lens though

Last edited:
I'm assuming the contempory version is going to be competitive with the Tamron, so expect, £1000 or so.

I wouldn't need the sport, I'd only be buying for very casual use. I'd have to reshuffle some gear, but I'd definitely be interested if the reviews for the non S version are good.

I think there is also a difference with the weather sealing

Very likely!

Though, none of my current lenses are either.

Last edited:
im guessing the C is for slightly beating the tamron, and the S is to kerb stomp the tamron, and go after the big white primes and the 200-400 ? ones canokia have

The tamron is supposed to be decent enough, so if the C version beats it, it should do pretty well on it's own.

Just noticed another big difference between the 2 versions: the C version has a filter thread of 95mm Vs 105mm on the S ... this also suggest a big difference in weight/size.

Last edited:
Not a bad price at all .
Rob.

The tamron is supposed to be decent enough, so if the C version beats it, it should do pretty well on it's own.

Just noticed another big difference between the 2 versions: the C version has a filter thread of 95mm Vs 105mm on the S ... this also suggest a big difference in weight/size.

If the C version beats it, I will definately be interested in the "S" version.

Not a bad price at all .
Rob.

A very good price indeed. Anyone want to buy an 12 month old Sigma 150-500, UK supply ;)

This will deffinatly be my next lens the sports version it will be, I do alot bird photogrphy so the extra 200mm over my 100-400 will be excellent specially if i can get the same IQ.
1600 is not that bad of a price looking at it in real terms.

Going to have to save a little first but it will deffinatley be the sigma over the tamron I was looking at

Keeping my eye on this lens too, looking for a replacement for my 150-500 and this looks like it could be decent :)

Just been reading some more updates on this lens, its due out in October and will be priced at £1600 for the sports version, so not long now, looking at the two versions of this lens I will deffinatly be going for the sports version, Makes sence seeing as thats what I take pics of, motor sports and birds.

Found this some where else

Sigma 150-600 vs Tamron 150-600
1 week ago
Will be attending Photokina this week and hope to get my hands on Sigma's new tele lens and see how it stacks up against Tamron's excellent version.

Will be posting a mini hands-on review.

Birdman7 wrote:

And I found that on the Sigma (sport) the focusing wheel was stiff and uncomfortable to use (too close to mount) and because of the weight of the lens (much heavier than Tamron due to the optical elements/group), didnt handle well when focusing manually. The zoom ring I also found very stiff. I found AF similar on both models. The Tamron was much lighter, had smoother rings and better balanced, although the Sigma should have better optical performance. Took photos with both at 600 and I couldnt tell the difference, bith looked very sharp, perhaps slightly more contrasty on Sigma.

Thanks for another update Birdman7.

I would suspect that Sigma could adjust the "tightness" - especially since it has a "zoom lock" and any "looseness” to the zoom could be handled by locking it. Might be worth a call to Sigma Service to see if the "tightness" (focus and zoom) is the "norm".

a mauled about preproduction lens on a trade show, id wait for reviews before worrying to much about zoom tightness. but going by the rule of thumb that you only get zoom lock on lenses that dont need it, it could well be tight anyways :/

After watching those reports, oooh this becomes more and more appealing all the time, I love my bird photography and this will be the icing on the cake for me I think.

I'd wait until I seen reviews that weren't from Sigma themselves if I was interested in buying. Which ... I am, just got no monies :D

In build quality etc. How do the Sigma and Tamron's lens compare? I am very interested in the Tamron 150-600 but the pending release of the Sigma 150-600 has put the brakes on my purchase of the Tamron.

In build quality etc. How do the Sigma and Tamron's lens compare? I am very interested in the Tamron 150-600 but the pending release of the Sigma 150-600 has put the brakes on my purchase of the Tamron.

Basically two different options, cheapo and sport ... the sport is a better quality build but is around £1599 i.e. almost twice the price of the Tamron, haven't seen a confirmed price for the cheapo but believed around £1k.

I have just read up on some of the specs of the Sigma 150-600 'S', it is one heavy beast!! Perhaps a bit too heavy for an old(ish) guy like me? I have to walk a fair bit to get any hopes of a decent shot. Anyway I will wait until I can get a good side by side impartial comparison of the Tamron and Sigma 150-600 .

i think the c is about £1100 and the s is £1600 mark if what they say about the s is true i may go for one when the price falls a bit

I had a play with the sports version yesterday. It certainly is a beast of a lens. I would certainly reccomend a tripod for it. It is hand holdable but the weight would soon take its toll. Af on my 70d inside in low light was positive and didnt seem to hunt at all, also super quiet. Lens hood is metal and build quality is impressive. Colous look really well produced. I would say it is sharper than my 50-500 wide open at the long end of 600. Zoom lock is excellent, very positive and is lockable at each step of the zoom. 150,200 etc. Also if the lens gets knocked at the front the zoom lock automatically unlocks which is a good feature. You can also use a push pull action to zoom ad well. As for the contempory version price is meant to be in line with the tamron, but that wasnt available yet.

michael is it a lot more weight than the 50-500 ?ie do you notice it more when hand holding it ? the 50-500 is a bit of a arm killer walking about with it for a few hours i have the 50-500 but how much id miss the 100mm i dont know

michael is it a lot more weight than the 50-500 ?ie do you notice it more when hand holding it ? the 50-500 is a bit of a arm killer walking about with it for a few hours i have the 50-500 but how much id miss the 100mm i dont know

Much heavier!But very well balanced. I carry my 50-500 and70d via a black rapid strap which certainly makes mine bearable for a good few hours. What the 150-600 would be like on a black rapid strap i,m not sure.

Much heavier!But very well balanced. I carry my 50-500 and70d via a black rapid strap which certainly makes mine bearable for a good few hours. What the 150-600 would be like on a black rapid strap i,m not sure.

I had the new Sigma 150-600 S for a few days recently. It is certainly heavy, but the Tamron is no lightweight either. I used a Black Rapid sling strap plus monopod, and the weight pretty much disappeared (y)

I had the new Sigma 150-600 S for a few days recently. It is certainly heavy, but the Tamron is no lightweight either. I used a Black Rapid sling strap plus monopod, and the weight pretty much disappeared (y)

I didn't actually go look at the tamron this time around, but I do remember it being rather weighty.

some totally unscientific test shots from inside a dark building under the usual lighting stuff. iso 10000 to get anything useable hand held. raw opened in elements and saved as jpeg, no sharpening added at all.

First 1 my 50-500 at 500mm f6.3, 125th, handheld os on

50-500 comparison by scilly puffin, on Flickr

150-600 at 600mm, 6.3, 125th os on and handheld

150-600 test shot 2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

150-600 @ f6.3,125th hand held os on

150-600 sports test shot by scilly puffin, on Flickr

150-600 @ 600mm, 6.3 and 60th os on and handheld

150-600 test shot 3 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

full size are on flickr if you click through.

Last edited:
Richard did you try the lens with your 7D? If so what are your thoughts about this combination?

Back