New super impose screen after 2 weeks of use?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I brought a 6d from panamoz.com (grey import) a few weeks ago. Monday, whilst shooting some landscapes I noticed a mark in the viewfinder that was not effecting pictures. I cant be sure whether the mark was there all along and I only noticed it Monday or weather it appeared sometime since receiving the camera. I decided to contact panamoz and go from there. They quickly replied and agreed to pay under their warranty for me to arrange to have it cleaned. Having taken it in today, i'm told that it wont clean off and needs a new super impose screen? Its not going to cost any more than the clean would have been and I assume panamoz will still cover the cost (i'm awaiting their reply). I am, however concerned as to how this has happened in such a short time, I think I have changed lens twice.... I was ok with having my 2 week old camera cleaned but now it needs parts replacing!!? I'm really not sure how bigger deal the problem is and if i should be asking for a replacement camera or just get it fixed.

Opinions please.

It's just a little bit of plastic with the cut outs for the af points. I would let them replace it. If they can't clean it prob mean's it oil or they have damaged it pulling it out, even a lens pen will scrape it. I would let them replace it and see if happens again quickly if it does return the camera.

Eventually you will get dust in it again fact of life viewfinders have dust lol.

Last edited:
Well, I got the the new super impose screen fitted today, they guy said the original one was blemished and it wasn't dirt/dust.

As soon as got back to my car, I put a lens on to check that everything was ok, and it wasn't. I could see several black specs in the viewfinder, so I took it back. The guy seemed shocked and I was kind of made to feel like I was making a big deal over nothing, however he took it away again, cleaned it and changed the focus screen (at their cost). And gave it me to check again. Initially I still saw a spec, but then after pointing it out he said he couldnt see it and then I couldnt find it again. He basically told me that I could get it home and then see specs again... After years of owning a 500d I never had this issue once.

Is it just more noticeable on a better quality camera? Am I making a big deal over nothing? Thoughts please.

You'll always see dust in the VF, I get it on all my cameras despite being careful when changing lenses. It's a fact if life with DSLRs.

You can rocket blow it with the mirror down, it'll normally clear it.

Does it show on pictures? No
Does it effect your ability to take pictures? No
Is it an inevitable part of owning an slr? Yes

Forget about it and enjoy taking pictures it's like worrying about scratching the body of your camera or the lcd it happens the camera still works so stop fretting and use the tool!

There's a spot on the viewfinder of my 5d. I've cleaned the sensor and it's still there. Must be on the mirror assembly somewhere. Doesn't show on my shots, so CBA doing anything else about it. Sometimes sh*t happens. That's life. If your shots are OK then stop worrying about it.

Thanks for the comments, its not so much i'm worried about it, but more making sure i'm not being fobbed off by the repairers or having issues that shouldnt be there with the camera. As said in my previous post, ive owned a 500d for years and never noticed spots in the viewfinder to the extent i have on my two week 6d. If thats just the way things are then i'm happy to forget about it and enjoy my camera :)

That's the way things happen. I had a few seeks on my 6d view finder which I tried to get off with a very fine brush. Big mistake.

Bought a new focus screen and within weeks had a tiny black speck on it again.
I've just learned to ignore it now. If it doesn't come off with a rocket blower it stays. If and when it gets too bad, I'll buy another screen. They're only around £30

Back