New to 6D...images lack contrast

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have just got a 6D and am finding that, straight out of camera, the images are lacking contrast and the histogram is way off the blacks point (highlights control ok). I shoot mostly aperture mode, RAW format. Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong? Would dialing in negative exposure help?

Re the exposure -
Sounds like the usual Canon trait of under exposing.
Dial in about +1 exposure compensation and check again
(Assuming that i am reading what you say as the blacks are clipping on the histogram).

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with @stupar about the underexposing. I have +1/3 compensation dialled but sometimes more, very odd coming from a 40D and 50D because i never experienced the issue with those bodies but the metering system was different (and better imo as it got it right 99/100).

Assuming your exposures are good and you're not doing anything like shooting into the light and getting a lot of lens flare (especially if you have a protection filter fitted) then it's most likely your processing software.

From Raw, all images need some pumping up. In-camera, this is done in Picture Styles for JPEGs and some software programmes will pick up on those settings from the Exif data and apply them to Raws on import as a default starting point, but other programmes do not. The result is usually quite flat looking until some adjustments are applied.

With Nikon I find I have to dial in up to -1.0 exp comp as images tend to be over exposed, even when set up correctly, according to the camera's metering.

Every Canon I have owned tended to underexpose by about a stop. My 5Dlll and 6D are no exception.One idea is that Canon are protecting the highlights in JPEG images. Not sure if that is true but I would certainly expect to increase the exposure in the majority of cases. Remember though that the histogram is only showing you an 8 bit jpeg representation of the image file. It's not possible to show the RAW histogram.

I think it was the Luminous Landscape addressed this problem a few years ago. They found that Canon cameras tended towards underexposure, whilst Nikon tend to the reverse. Different exposure philosophies.

With RAW you have a significant amount of headroom as far as highlights are concerned. The advice is generally to expose to the right of the histogram, let the blacks take care of themselves. In fact overexposing for the shadows helps reduce noise in these areas.

I don;t know what software you are using, but it is generally expected that shooting RAW the photographer will want to do his own post processing of the image , rather than let camera software do it for him. I would tend to probably give a Raw image a bit of a highlight kick and possibly crush the shadows a slight amount to get the result I expect. It is however dependant on the image contrast range.

I'd also turn off the highlight protection option, that can screw up an image.

Last edited:
Are you using DPP or Lightroom / PS to convert your RAWs? If it's the latter try different camera profiles. I've just changed the default from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard which bumps the exposure a tad on my 7D.

It is a very good thing actually, because it gives you files with lots of processing latitude and little data thrown out. If you like contrasty stuff right from the camera better stick with rebels, but I am sure you will easily figure out your 20s processing routine to get the desired look.

re exposure - use exposure compensation dial as / when needed. Not everything is 18% grey, nor it should be, but your camera presumes that is the case.

Have the same issue with my 5D Mark iii and my fiance shot a wedding with me the other day on her new 6D and it's the exact same as the Mark iii.. +1 normally sorts it most of the time :)

Thanks everyone. I was worried it was something wrong with the camera! I always use LR for most things, using PS if and when more tweaks are needed. Exposure compensation it is then :) Incidentally, I didn't know that the histogram shows an 8bit Jpeg version, so thanks for that.

I'm loving everything else about the 6D.
x

Thanks everyone. I was worried it was something wrong with the camera! I always use LR for most things, using PS if and when more tweaks are needed. Exposure compensation it is then :) Incidentally, I didn't know that the histogram shows an 8bit Jpeg version, so thanks for that.

I'm loving everything else about the 6D.
x

Lightroom applies Adobe's own version of Canon's Picture Styles on import, based on Exif, as a default. Unless you've disabled it?

Check camera calibration in the develop module right at the bottom. Try changing Adobe Standard to Camera Standard, the others are a bit flat or overdone for my tastes. You can always create your own profile and set any to apply by default.

If you're shooting raw they will look 'dull' before they're processed, as with any body!

Back