new to photography, opinions needed.

Edit My Images
Yes
Well do your best worst with these, what do you think. New-ish to cameras, owned about 5months my first season. Heres afew from the year, these are as off the camera, no messing with (except resizing and the last cropped the barrier out slightly), and i had full control off the settings. So any advise tips please. And if any-one has time to play with them then please do, just tell me what and how.

5.jpg

7.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

oh the camera was a konica minolta Z5, i so want a proper slr now

New-ish to cameras, owned about 5months

Well if that is after 5 months you are going to be pretty impressive after a year!

You must be pretty pleased with these - I would be. There are things you can criticise for the sake of comment but overall they are good. I'll let the motorsport types suggest how to get more pop to the images.

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks im very pleased with these. I only brought a cheap camera as i didnt think id get such a bug for it, but i have spent most weekends trackside, and take about 1000-1500 pics. So have got in a bit off practice in a very short ime frame, and got a few rather nice shots in. Forgot to mention tho, i have a 2x tele-converter and a skylight filter which give me a longer range to get that close.

The BMW's where the WTCC at Brands hatch, and the other 2 where taken at the weekend, part off the F3 and British GT champs again at brands.

Once it begins the bug is unavoidable (& expensive). :eek: :LOL:
Not really a fan of car images but I really do like the first image (think a white bordering may possibly add to the impact).
Can appreciate the skill involved in the taking of these images, but number one is definately the winner for me.
really nicely done.

these look good, and considering you're new to photography they are even better! I reckon you'll get loads of views as there's plenty on here that like viewing car photos :)

I really like the 1st two, very nice shots, the rain highlighted in the cars headlight reflection makes the 1st photo for me, and the sense of speed in the 2nd is very nice.

The 3rd and 4th do nothing for me tbh, they are both nice and clear, but I feel a too fast shutter speed has been used, id guess they were taken at about 1/400th seconds and needed to be 1/200th max, imo of course and im not in any way any good at this photography lark. Im aware that the motion blur can be faked onto the tyres and I feel it may be worth doing to improve the images.

Really like the first, horrible conditions but you've got a nice shot out of it. Maybe slightly dark but still pretty good :)

welcome along Russ, you remember me dontcha?????

nice shots, i would have been VERY happy with those after 5 months!

Thanks guys, some interesting views. Yes the first was very hard to get. The image is dark agreed, but that makes it look much lighter then it actually was. From memory i think it taken at 1/25-1/50, got few from that corner, the light cars where ok, but the dark cars you simply couldn't see. Even the press that where in front off me gave up. It is one off my fav's i must admit.

Pics 3 and 4 where much higher around 1/1000, due to very bright conditions, having slower shutter speeds they where over exposing abit. How can i prevent that in the future? looking at them they have lost alot off the speed. particularly the F3 car.

Matty yes mate, i been lurking for a while getting a few tips here there. shall resize a few more and upload them to a gallery soon, and i'll shall have to get some software to i think to maybe improve them slightly, i.e lighten the first one.

*snip*
Pics 3 and 4 where much higher around 1/1000, due to very bright conditions, having slower shutter speeds they where over exposing abit. How can i prevent that in the future? looking at them they have lost alot off the speed. particularly the F3 car...

You could reduce the aperture (ie increase the f-stop number) which lets in less light. (Doing this also increases the 'depth of field', but if you're panning shots, that won't matter so much) Alternatively, reduce the ISO number as much as possible or just get an ND filter, which again blocks some of the light.

You could reduce the aperture (ie increase the f-stop number) which lets in less light. (Doing this also increases the 'depth of field', but if you're panning shots, that won't matter so much) Alternatively, reduce the ISO number as much as possible or just get an ND filter, which again blocks some of the light.

I up'd the f on this one (cant remember to what tho) but i think i have over done it abit?

a3.jpg

I seam to lose the ISO setting's when in fully manuel mode, seems adjustable in the shutter proity settings tho. I was using a skylight filter at the time, but the light levels where all over the place due to be very changable cloud conditions. But thanks means i'm on the right line in my thinking. Just the next thing to practice.

nice shots, i would have been VERY happy with those after 5 months!

:agree:

With panning , the tricky bit is to balance the shutter speed against vehicle speed. You want to get movement blur of the background / wheels but keep the car nice & crisp.

I used 1/400 , f:8.0 and manual focus for this shot (it was going past at 100 mph ish :))

pan2.jpg

wow, thats very different settings to what i would have thought, and been using and well outside the auto-levels. I'll up the f:x at the weekend, when im at brands. i like that porkie, (they sound ace too when on full throttle)

thanks folks, for the comments/advise (y)

Ok was at brands yesterday, and tried using different settings. Much higher f;x mainly between f.7.1-8 my camera dosnt go higher. Used shutter speeds between 1:125 and 1:400 during the day, was quite happy with some off the results.

med_1157924830-PICT0145.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

Still not quite right yet,

Back