New York D800

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the big apple and been playing with the new D800

The first two are taken with the D800 the other two are with the D700

If anybody is interested, I'll stick up some full size images or 100% crops. The D800 sensor is pretty impressive.

Wow thats amazing! Thanks very much :) Seems like you have a lot of distortion on the edges of that shot, but then again I only really noticed that when I was looking at the full size one so probably not too much of a problem. What lens did you use?

Interesting to see the 100% image from the top of the Empire State - have you found much difference between ISO200 & ISO100?

The D700 does not have a "true" ISO100 but I think the D800 does.

Looks like you made the most of the good weather on Friday - I was in NYC about the same time and went up the "Rock" that day.

There was a guy in the departure lounge on the way home on Monday evening who had a D800 and seemed to be snapping everything and anything so I guess he must have just got one as well.

Interesting to see the 100% image from the top of the Empire State - have you found much difference between ISO200 & ISO100?

The D700 does not have a "true" ISO100 but I think the D800 does.

I've not tried to be honest. On the D700 I only went below 200 if I was trying deliberately slow the shutter speed. Maybe on the D800 I'll use 100 if there is plenty of light.

Looks like you made the most of the good weather on Friday - I was in NYC about the same time and went up the "Rock" that day.

There was a guy in the departure lounge on the way home on Monday evening who had a D800 and seemed to be snapping everything and anything so I guess he must have just got one as well.

I went home Monday evening, maybe it was me!

Last edited:
Very nice Pete. Looks like you have a new friend.

Fantastic! I would love to go there and explore.

Thanks Paul

Very nice Pete. Looks like you have a new friend.

Thanks Tom,

the D800 is a great tool, but, for me, is no huge game changer.

I like having the video and it's fun having the huge resolution. But there is a pay off. At 100% the D700 raw files are fantastic, you can push the exposure, shadow detail, sharpening, saturation and at 100% the images remain clean. On the D800 I have noticed most adjustments do introduce some noise at 100%, something that I had noticed on my micro 4/3rds Panasonic GF-1.

I could of course, down sample the images to 12Meg and they would be clean as a whistle, but that not the point of having 36Meg monster.

Don't get me wrong, I would not go back to the D700, the auto ISO for different focal length lenses I would miss too much for one thing, but there is definitely a price to pay for that pixel density.

Lovely photos, but I really do think those ugly borders just completely ruin the photos unfortunately!

ShawWellPete said:
Thank you, what kind of borders do you prefer?

Just DON'T use that font. It makes me want to :crying: Try Blue Highway Type D maybe.

Anyway great images, always wanted to go to New York.

These are brill. I suppose with the D800 you need to get big prints done to realise the full potential of all those megapixels....

Just DON'T use that font. It makes me want to :crying: Try Blue Highway Type D maybe.

Anyway great images, always wanted to go to New York.

:LOL: I must admit I have not given the font (or the borders) a lot of thought. Maybe I should :thinking::thinking:

Cracking shots Pete!!! I'd put any of them up on my wall!

Thank you Chris

These are brill. I suppose with the D800 you need to get big prints done to realise the full potential of all those megapixels....

Thanks Ryan, I do not print enough, particularly huge ones, maybe if I did I would see a greater benefit of the d800

Back