newbie - question about lens for ice skating

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all!
Please be gentle - first post !
I would like to take better photos of my daughter ice skating - and possibly could invest in a new lens - what would people recommend ...
Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Which camera do you have, and how much would you like to spend (at most?).
Also, what do you feel is currently incorrect?

I have a Canon 400D and am currently using a Tamron 28-300. The guy who used to do the photos - (and had all the equipment ) is no longer doing it. There is a gala coming up and I think I would like to have a go at taking some shots. - not very confident though . I did use his camera when he was using the video - so have some experience but not much.

Would like to have some idea of MINIMUM price - rather than putting a limit. - as this is just a hobby and i am unlikely to recoup much money !!

Had given up taking photos as they were always disappointing - blurred as light is usually bad -

My suggestion would be one of the following as they all have a large maximum aperture allowing faster shutter speeds in low lighting conditions:- 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2, what you really need to do first though, is find the ideal focal length to get the shot you require from the shooting position you will have, and then select the one of those lenses that fit the bill.

All can be had for about £300.

The shots tend to be a long way away - is that what you mean ??
The ice centre is olympic size

what is your range? physically from the subject??
if I was doing that gig I would take my 50mm 1.4 and my 50-150 f2.8

for zoom 2.8 glass you're looking about £500+ also a monopod would be handy

do i want a fixed length lens ?

I won't think that's definite, it's just that at these sort of apertures, fixed length or prime lenses are the only ones that can do this.
otherwise f2.8 is normally your minimum

you can hire lenses and try them out? there's a chap on here, hire a sigma 50-150.....
hire a 70-200 IS f2.8 at your peril though...you will want to steal it or rob a bank to fund it

I won't think that's definite, it's just that at these sort of apertures, fixed length or prime lenses are the only ones that can do this.
otherwise f2.8 is normally your minimum

you can hire lenses and try them out? there's a chap on here, hire a sigma 50-150.....
hire a 70-200 IS f2.8 at your peril though...you will want to steal it or rob a bank to fund it

LOL!!!

like the sound of hiring one !! any thoughts on which one exactly ??
read the writeups on lenses for hire and it seems the way to go for the time being anyway ...
.... now which one ???

lensesforhire.co.uk are very highly regarded, and the guy who runs it is a member on here. The reason most people have suggested fixed focal length lenses is you can have a much bigger aperture (so shorter shutter speed and less blur) for less money.

What focal length do you use most often? Look through the shots you've taken before to work it out!

Chris

It is difficult with Synchronised Skating as you are sometimes trying to get the pattern with all the skaters in and sometimes trying to get closeups of individuals

Back