NEWBIE WITH DUMB QUESTION

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, here goes...

As I'm very new to the dslr scene please go easy on me here...

Got a question regarding the two kit lenses I got with my D60, basically I don't quite know what their full potentials are and I'm not sure wether to keep them or not, I really enjoy taking photos, mainly my thing is macro, portraits and trying to capture landscapes, I've bought a sigma 28-300mm from this forum just for it's versatility and I was thinking of getting a proper macro lens too, but in order to do that I would have to sell my kit lenses to fund it.

Again I must stress I'm a complete newb to dslr so I'm not up to speed on lenses and their capabilities, I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could help me out a bit with some guidance.

Thanks for your patience

Lee

Its always tempting to move up lenses but you should get to grips with what you have the VR on these is a great bonus and will make these lenses very handy more so than my kit lenses as they were pre VR.
Use what you have you can always give exstension tubes a go with the kit lens for a macro taster before saving and getting a dedicated Macro.
Practice the lanscape on the 18mm you will be suprised at what you can get with that. The 55-200 should also be good for portraits.
They are not bundled for nothing these 2 lenses cover a very wide shooting capacity.

TBH bud, I'm not sure I agree that you have gained much versatility with the 28-300. You have gained convenience and a bit of reach, but lost a lot of wide angle, and VR. A few mms make a big difference at that end, especially for landscapes. I don't think you will have done image quality any favours either.

If you want a go at macro on a budget, try a Raynox close-up lens which will do a heck of a lot with your 55-200 for about £45, so it is low risk in that respect. Extension tubes (Kenko) are also a good way, but more expensive.

Tread carefully with extra lenses. Those two Nikon kit lenses are very good for the price and you will have to spend a lot of money to get anything significantly better.

Thanks for the advice guys, the reason I got the 28-300 was to try and cut down with lens changes, I'm quite impulsive with my camera and I've had times when I've been out and seen a shot but missed thanks to farting about in my bag for the other lens.

I think I'll definately give the raynox close up lens a go, just need to get a little research on them and find a good deal.

Thanks again

Lee

I agree with all of the above. The kit lenses are pretty good and versatile, learn what you can with those and then you will have a better idea of what you nedd.

Andy

my advice on this one is keep your 18-55 and 55-200 there both superb lenses. swap your siggy for a sigma 70-300 apo and get the dedicated macro filter made by sigma for that lens you wont be disappointed with the results heres one my girlfriend took with that lens on a d40x nikon body
2701745931_da5f1b8085.jpg
PS im flogging one! pm me if your interested as I dont have enough posts to sell here yet

That's a super pic there ^^^ Fab butterfly and great composition (y)

Back