Edit My Images
No
Hi Folks,

I am fairly new to photography, I say this as I have had my camera for a few years and only recently started to get out and take some shots and look to improve. I would like your constructive feedback on this image and tell me how to improve....thanks.View attachment 16545

what springs to mind is the pose looks a little to formal and the location ( looks like they are standing in the road) doesnt help
with the 50mm lens and a group shot you are going to be limited a little in terms of distance and what you can fit in the shot.
think maybe a different location, with them more relaxed sitting on the ground then you could shoot landscape mode and get in closer may improve things.
the pose looks a little like the young lad is ready to excape and they are both holding him back and with the trees and building behind they are just a distraction.
if your going to have them standing a cleaner background ( beach shot or local park ) may be better suited.

Problem you get with the 50mm on full length shots is you need to step back quite a distance which then results in a deep DOF so instead of a nice blurred background and boken you end up with a shot that doesnt pull the people out towards you and instead pushes them into the background.

had exact same problem tonight when i had to shoot a rather tall person full length and could only use my 50mm lens and even at f/1.8 the background wasnt sufficiently blurred enough to result in a satisfactory shot.

I agree fully with Dean above.

Also, is it just from viewing on an iPhone or does the photo look slightly out of focus?

In relation to focus, in low light situations it's better to switch to manual because camera gets confused. But here just take time to make sure that you are focusing where you should be. If you're taking a portrait, focus on the pupil of the eye.

Learn to control your DOF just to help separate your subjects from the background :) nive photo tho :D

Back