Newborn Images

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I'm very much liking those - job well done in my eyes. What lighting did you use?

Nicely done.
The only thing I would do is try to reduce the redness on that left eye lid, a quick bit with the adjustment brush in LR should do it. But that's only being a bit picky.

What was your set up?

Thanks. I used a 120cm octabox at around 75 degrees to the left nearly directly above, then a bare light facing the wall on the right to give a bit of fill.

I understand what you're saying about the redness, but I like to shoot them how they are which sometimes causes an issue with parents wanting birthmarks removed etc.

Last edited:
The photos are stunning, great light props and processing I really like all of them but I thought the same as abtog that spot on the eye really throws it a bit for me.

I know babies don't need a lot of skin work but it doesn't look like a mark that will last. Here's a really quick edit with just an hsl layer masked tackling the reds

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Lee ! Those are fab. Yes I am not a photographer and yes I have not shot images like this before but it's plane as day that these are great.

Gaz

Yep I suppose it does look better and it is a mark that will fade in time. @ABTog I take back what I said :)
I've only done a little bit of newborn photography, but I've photographed my own kids since they were born, so I tend to take a measured approach. I will remove dirt/food mess if needed, but not alter birthmarks.
I was suggesting just reducing the redness, just a drop in the saturation of the reds, not removing completely. The edit by @CraigDHD is similar to what I'd do.
Newborns have lots of little imperfections on the skin, but that's how they were made ;)

I've only done a little bit of newborn photography, but I've photographed my own kids since they were born, so I tend to take a measured approach. I will remove dirt/food mess if needed, but not alter birthmarks.
I was suggesting just reducing the redness, just a drop in the saturation of the reds, not removing completely. The edit by @CraigDHD is similar to what I'd do.
Newborns have lots of little imperfections on the skin, but that's how they were made ;)

This plus warming them up a bit. As a parent I look at that baby and think that it looks cold.

I don't know how experienced you are at this kind of thing Lee but I think they're great. Only a couple of things for me:

1: Love this, pick of the bunch by far.
2: Not hugely taken by it but I do like detail shots, just seems a little uninteresting.
3: My OCD chart is going off the scale. You've got some incredible symmetry going on here but I really dislike the crop.
4/5: Both great shots, but as others have said I'd have to remove the redness from the eyes.

Thanks for posting.

The only thing I'll add is that the 3rd one would be, IMHO, dramatically improved if the tub was bang on in the middle.

Good stuff though!

No expert here but I like them all, other than as said above, would nudge the "tub" to the middle.
The thread has confused me a little, as I can't make up my mind re. the "retouching".
Yes it looks better, but ?

Good work. I also think the 3rd one would benefit from a central crop. It's an interesting shot, I keep looking at the background thinking it doesn't quite look right, think I would prefer a textured floor to make it look a little more natural but probably being far too nit picky.

Back