Newborn photos

Name
Ariel
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a new little niece born November 6th and my sister wanted me to take some pictures of her for her birth announcement. I am in no way, shape or form an expert or even close, and this is my first experience with newborn photography. But I'd love some critiques--I know there are plenty of flaws, and I want to learn from them.

So here is Lilly (with big sister Azure)

_DSC1306.jpg

_DSC1316.jpg

_DSC1321-2.jpg

_DSC1329-2.jpg

Congrats Aunty Ariel . I totally adore the 2nd and 4th image.

Some crit if you're ok with that, the first one is a bit soft on Lilly's right eye. When getting in very close like that (physically with the camera) - you can bump up the aperture to F4, F5 or even higher - and still get an amazing blurred background, when the focus is on the child. No need for soft areas on the baby at all :)

I like the 2nd, because of the pose - but the image looks a bit flat, some more light and a little contrast would pop the image a little more. I would also clone out the tub number, its distracting - if it were a number "2" - it would be great as it could mean "child number 2" , but since it says "3" - unless Lilly is the 3rd child, its just a distraction and means nothing :)

3 is lovely - but 4 is my favourite. Absolutely beautiful :) Nice work Ariel :)

Thanks so much for the critiques. Yes, I was kicking myself for not bumping up my aperture, even for the 4th picture. I would have liked it if Azure had been a little more in focus. You live and learn, right? :)

Despite the diaper blow outs and working in a super warm room (since Lilly was mostly naked!), I think I might have enjoyed photographing her more than adults. ;) Azure was amazingly patient as well, and did the last pose all on her own--despite their short attention span, that's the awesome thing about little children. They, on occasion, do something so natural that makes the perfect picture.

Thanks again!

Back