Nhl Game

Some nice shots there, could benefit from a little contrast boost and tweaking in PP

One good shot.. the last one.. which needs an exposure boost... the rest are what? one such shot amongst all the action is good.. but lots of standing about and one action is the wrong way around :)

Wel there is action and there is action.. man with puck is same as football.. man kicks ball.. or rugby .. man runs with ball... its not real action..thats more sportrait.... there is so much going on at ice hockey you should be able to get 2+ player action

sorry not trying to knock your pictures.. but to get the best ice hockey pictures you should go for the body checks at the point of impact or the goalmouth action and of course the fights :) also all these pictures are under exposed.. i do appreciate the poor lighting but that doesnt stop you boosting them post process..thjey do need popping.. :) you ahvent got image edit OK in your profile or I would show you what I mean..... the middle two that could be decent action are missing the puck and business part of the sticks and are bib pics...

its all well and good everyone else posting what great pics these are.. but to be brutal they are not.. they are decent enough but can be so much better ..even just popping them,

Yea I understand I appreciate your honesty and time for the long post. I just trying to get better and appreciate any feedback positive and negative

As already touched on, the shots are underexposed. What exposure were you shooting at?

For me, head shots in sports photography only work when there's a real strong facial expression - a scream or similar otherwise it's all about the action. I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch but this sort of thing is what I like to try to get:-

DJW_9149 by jumper80, on Flickr

Players getting physical, puck in shot etc. And the good old fight shots are always a winner!!

As already touched on, the shots are underexposed. What exposure were you shooting at?

For me, head shots in sports photography only work when there's a real strong facial expression - a scream or similar otherwise it's all about the action. I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch but this sort of thing is what I like to try to get:-

DJW_9149 by jumper80, on Flickr

Players getting physical, puck in shot etc. And the good old fight shots are always a winner!!

I was shooting with spot metering so the ice wouldn't make it underexposed but I guess it still didn't work

I was shooting with spot metering so the ice wouldn't make it underexposed but I guess it still didn't work

I cant think of anytime in any sport I HAve ever used spot metering.. in ice hockey your shouldnt be using any metering.. you should be on manual as the lighting is or should be pretty constant... at the rink i go to the light changes at one end but its easy enough to make a slight setting change as the game builds towards it..

anywhere with constant lighting should use manual IMHO

I cant think of anytime in any sport I HAve ever used spot metering.. in ice hockey your shouldnt be using any metering.. you should be on manual as the lighting is or should be pretty constant... at the rink i go to the light changes at one end but its easy enough to make a slight setting change as the game builds towards it..

anywhere with constant lighting should use manual IMHO

Ok thanks for your advice the only reason I didn't use manual was that I was switching lenses constantly and they didn't have the same apertures. If I have to use some kind of metering is their one you would suggest for ice hockey?

Back