Nightscapes

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
A couple of spinning shots to try and combine the spin and a little landscape work. I discovered that the combination of freezing cold water to the feet, and burning hot metal to the hands makes me happier than it should!
Thoughts would be welcomed, I'm not overly happy with the composition, but had to enlist some help in focussing and shutter release, while I was spinning.

13092638095_8b271b6be3_b.jpg

13092405065_03d2469b93_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Superb images and very well done, not seen waterfalls and spinning combined before, love the second shot out of the two.

Superb images and very well done, not seen waterfalls and spinning combined before, love the second shot out of the two.

Thanks Steve, I was happy with the results, worth the effort in setting the shots up. Glad the fire and water combo is a new one to you, striving to do something different. Definitely plenty of ideas to come from this experiment. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Errrm, every time i see pictures like this i realize what i'm doing is soooo very amateur.
Needless to say i'm blown away by your pictures, are you employing the setting fire to wire wool on a drill thing i've heard about?

Errrm, every time i see pictures like this i realize what i'm doing is soooo very amateur.
Needless to say i'm blown away by your pictures, are you employing the setting fire to wire wool on a drill thing i've heard about?
Thanks for the kind words Bryan. It's pretty much straight out of camera, which is strange as I usually apply a touch of processing to most stuff I shoot.
Its a bird feeder with wire wool inside, set alight, and spun on a chain. The long exposure allows for enough time to get two spins in, and the moonlight enough time to apply a bit of light on the rocks. Its a fun way to spend an evening for sure. Thanks for looking

Great images! Very impressive stuff indeed and, like Steve said, very unusual to see spinning work combined with waterfalls. Were these shot in Richmond by any chance? I seem to recognise that stretch of water :thinking:

My only critique would be to dress completely in black to minimise your visibility in the shot

Last edited:
Those are fascinating images......the second one when viewed full size is stunning with the reflection in the water....it sounds a bit hair raising to set up, but well done to you for being so creative.
Thanks Susie - It was a pain to set up, but worth it, plus a good show for the residents having an evening walk. More to come soon hopefully.

Great images! Very impressive stuff indeed and, like Steve said, very unusual to see spinning work combined with waterfalls. Were these shot in Richmond by any chance? I seem to recognise that stretch of water :thinking:

My only critique would be to dress completely in black to minimise your visibility in the shot
Thanks Tony - Unfortunately, I don't really own any black clothes, but it may be a worthwhile purchase, based on your crit.
It is indeed at the bottom of Richmond, I thought it would be a good location for the first fire/water combo. Going to venture further afield in the coming days to get a series together. Plus it wasn't too far to get home with wet feet, which was a bonus.
Thanks for your crit guys. Much appreciated, I wanted to see if I was thinking along the right lines with these shots.

(y) Very, very different to what we usually see with wire wool spinning - and I like it a lot !!!
I think you've done a great job balancing the exposure between the water, trees, sky and spins.

Hard pressed to pick a favourite TBH
I think the composition in the first is probably the strongest, but then I really like the reflections in the second :thinking:

These are gorgeous, hats off to you for trying something different, it works well and I for one love them both! Hope to see more soon :D

(y) Very, very different to what we usually see with wire wool spinning - and I like it a lot !!!
I think you've done a great job balancing the exposure between the water, trees, sky and spins.

Hard pressed to pick a favourite TBH
I think the composition in the first is probably the strongest, but then I really like the reflections in the second :thinking:

Thank you Sarah, always trying to do something a little different. To be honest, I was helped out quite a lot by the moonlight to light the foreground, plus a 3minute or so plus exposure, allowed for the light to pull in a little detail. The first did have a flash of torch on the near waterfall to help it on its way.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, much appreciated!

These are gorgeous, hats off to you for trying something different, it works well and I for one love them both! Hope to see more soon :D
As soon as the moon comes out, I'll be out again to try it. Glad you like 'em and thanks for stopping to leave feedback!!

I find the 2nd image more engaging- it's got more of a surreal quality. Composition wise, I find the sky distracting in 2- it draws my away from the water, and the wall on the right feels like dead space. Perhaps a tighter crop?:
View attachment 7851

I agree that the first is compositionally more pleasing, and I think the light spill is better in the second.
I'm not sure about clipping the tops in your crop though, though it does make it a more engaging shot. However I can see a dogs face in it now, which I can't get away from!!!!

Back