nikkor 18-55 vr or nikkor 18-70

Edit My Images
No
I am stuck between these lenses and would like to know from people that have them which is the better one to go for.
the full names of the lenses in question are Nikkor 18-55 3.5-5.6G VR and Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IFED
At the moment i have a 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300 basic nikon lens so not too great. i dont often use the 70-300, only occasionally when i need to so it makes sense to upgrade the 18-55 first. esspecially as i would like to do more portraiture and BMX/skateboarding shots as thats what i like to do now. sometimes i do some landscapes too. so a kind of walkabout lens but mainly aimed towards the shorter end of the scale.
i would like to keep the wider end of the zoom to about 18 or under (but i am on a budget so under is doubtful) because i like it on my current lens and use it a fair bit.
my buget is around £150 so im looking second hand and they seem similary priced second hand. the 18-70 a bit more but if its a better lens then i would rather it.

thanks
Josh

I have just sold my 18-70 on here for £150 which was less than 3 months old and as new, so you could pick one up from £120-£150 depending on condition. A great lens for my d90, only sold it as I bought the 17-55 2.8. If it wasnt for that i would continue with the 18-70.

yeah, they seem to go for around £100-£170 on ebay and i think i saw yours on here. im guessing it was yours because it was at £150.
hhmm i'll see what i can do. if i can get one for a decent price then obviously its worth doing by the sound of it

to be honest, apart from the slightly longer tele end, i dont think you'll see huge differences between the 18-55 and 18-70. the 18-70 is built much nicer, sure, but optically i dont think theres too much between them. worth thinking about if you're unhappy with the pics you get with the 18-55.

this week im actually planning on a in depth comparison between the 18-55 and 18-70, although plenty exist in reviews, as i want to know myself if there are any differences. may very well post some pic comparisons on here if i get round to it.

I have the 18-70 on my D90 and its excellent. For the money (2nd hand) you'll not find much better and the focal range means its a good walkabout lens. I use it for landscapes all the time and have no complaints.

Andy

the quality of my 18-55 is not great, but not terrible considering what i use/need it for. but the real issue is it is terrible at focusing and feels very poorly built. on autofocus a lot of the time it has trouble focusing atall and in manual it is very flimsy and unsmooth
that review would be great!

the quality of my 18-55 is not great, but not terrible considering what i use/need it for. but the real issue is it is terrible at focusing and feels very poorly built. on autofocus a lot of the time it has trouble focusing atall and in manual it is very flimsy and unsmooth
that review would be great!

you'll be very impressed with the 18-70, at the price. much better built, and much nicer to manually focus.

the 18-70 is a sweet little lens and much better than the 18-55 imho.

While the 18-70 has a better feel to it there's not a big difference in image quality.

Why don't you save a bit more and go for the AF-S 35/1.8? That would give you a clear step up. The lowest price at the moment seems to be £175 delivered.

Back