Nikkor AF-S II 600 mm f4 ED AF Lens ... NOT VR

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone use this lens - the one before the VR was introduced

If so would be grateful of your opinions, with the TC14Ell also if you use it with this lens

They seem to crop up every month on Ebay for about £3,500 to £4k

The later VR ones are another £1,000+, if you can find one

Last edited:
I use the AFS 1 version, the AFS 2 has slightly lighter but the same IQ.Have a look on my flickr as I have a lot of images from this lens, most of the exif data is left on the 600mm lens images that way you can see for yourself.A big heavy beast of a lens but this is much better than my 500 f4 was.I have used the 1.4 on it a few times but mostly its not required especially if I put it onto a crop frame body(D300).

Mpb have one in at £3499 although the hood fasteners will need fixed probably cost about £50 or £60? It will be used on a tripod most of the time anyway so I can't see the VR making much difference. IQ was excellent in one I used as all superteles usually are.

Mpb have one in at £3499 although the hood fasteners will need fixed probably cost about £50 or £60? It will be used on a tripod most of the time anyway so I can't see the VR making much difference. IQ was excellent in one I used as all superteles usually are.

Thanks All

Yes I saw that plus there is one on EBay at a similar price …… which would seem to indicate that the "private" sale value is up to £3k for a good one

I have also seem the latest VR model, two years old and mint, but the seller wants £6k ……… so about twice the price ……… new I think that it is just over £7k in the UK

I think that the glass and ED is the same in both the non-VR and VR lens ……… can anyone confirm ……… although (I think) I read that the latest lens was better with TC's - not sure why

Thanks All

Yes I saw that plus there is one on EBay at a similar price …… which would seem to indicate that the "private" sale value is up to £3k for a good one

I have also seem the latest VR model, two years old and mint, but the seller wants £6k ……… so about twice the price ……… new I think that it is just over £7k in the UK

I think that the glass and ED is the same in both the non-VR and VR lens ……… can anyone confirm ……… although (I think) I read that the latest lens was better with TC's - not sure why
The VR version has "Nano" coating

Thanks Mark - the Mpb one seems to lack its case, or a case

There is a cheaper one on Ebay asking for offers with all the bits and pieces

I just assumed that if Mbp are selling at £3,500 they would have "bought it in" as a part ex for maybe £3k or less

I cannot seem to find more than one "on line" review

Last edited:
Thanks Joe - as you know I'm looking around, but not back in the UK until October …… so that's a bit of a set back when buying from EBay

But I almost think that this is the one to go for at £3,500 or near over a new VR at over twice the price

The non VR models will serve you just as well, I think (don't quote me on it) but MPB deliver to France if you ask them about it if your interested in there 600mm f/4...

Been looking at the MPB one but no case, damaged hood with unknown repair cost (new £450 from Nikon or £200+ eBay to replace) and no 'leather' end cover ... bit cheaper would be more realistic I think.

MPB are usually more than enthusiastic with their descriptions as well, personally i wouldnt be buying any non G lens, parts will be getting difficult to find

MPB are usually more than enthusiastic with their descriptions as well

:agree: The 500 f4 I bought from them earlier in the year was in pretty poor condition despite falling into their 'signs of light use' category. To be fair they took it back a few days outside of their 14 day period and refunded me but sending out a £4k lens with mud on it and an end cap that looked like a hoover had been emptied into it is pretty poor.

MPB are usually more than enthusiastic

+1 got my mint D3 from them 6months ish back and it is in great condition but the outer shell of the camera was dirty I had to give it a really good clean, The Sensor was in need of a good clean also after them saying it was clean on there description, Just a quick clean of the gear would be much appreciated, I now use Camera Jungle for 100% of used goods I buy, Had great experience with them and now on first name terms with the staff

Thanks Carl - I have been looking at them

I started off with a max budget of £3,500 but it is gradually getting pushed up to £5k ......... then are all tempting and incrementally priced

Haha, those `max budgets` do seem to drift up a bit eh. ;)

Back