Nikkor G or D 85mm

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
I think I may have asked this question before, but never (from memory) got a definitive answer.

Whilst I'm sort of interested in the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 or 1.8, are there any significant improvements with the G over the D? i.e. IQ or even CA?
I'm a big fan of the Nikkor D's, as not least I think they look and feel better. But that does not a quality image make!
As yes, the D's can be used on older film cameras but not on my wifes D3200 body. But non of that's an issue for my D700 body (nor it's potential replacement).

The 85mm would be used for portraits, and would need to be sharp fully open. But would also need to be sharp across the frame. I realise that D's perhaps appeared better when the crop format was all we had. But FF demands more. ( I give you the 70-200 F2.8 VR1 vs the VR2)

Thanks TGR

Last edited:
After watching that it looks quite clear. The G is sharper than the D. And the 1.4 is even better albeit at a cost.

I have a samyang 85 f1.4 which is sharp wide open. It great if you don't mind manual focus.

It will be a while before I upgrade to an af version, purely because of cost!

I own the 85mm f1.8G, lovely lens and well pleased with it. I've used both of the f1.4 versions and the G is probably sharper, but the D just feels sooooo nice to use and it is hardly a slouch in terms of IQ either. Win/Win springs to mind :)

I own the 85mm f1.8G, lovely lens and well pleased with it. I've used both of the f1.4 versions and the G is probably sharper, but the D just feels sooooo nice to use and it is hardly a slouch in terms of IQ either. Win/Win springs to mind :)
You see, this just don't help!!
My heart says hold out for a S/H 1.4D. But my head ( well wallet) says 1.8G!!
I've no doubt that the 1.4G is brilliant.
Just wish Sigma would do an 85 1.4 ART though. ( I have their 35 1.4 ART- I have calibrated it, via the dock, at the four distances for spot on focus)

Just wish Sigma would do an 85 1.4 ART though. ( I have their 35 1.4 ART- I have calibrated it, via the dock, at the four distances for spot on focus)
I aim to please :p

I've heard great things about the siggy 35 (bit of a heavy beast though?) so I'd expect their 85 when it appears to be as good. Honestly for 99%+ of shots you'd be hard pressed to tell which 85mm lens was used, the 85mm f1.8g is that good.

The sigma 35 ART is without doubt my sharpest lens. Focus is spot from 0.3m to infinity. Would love an 85! Reckon it would be about £800 though. May even allow me to sell my 105D dc !
But in the meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for a 1.8G

Last edited:
No problems with going grey for me since I bought my Sigma. If I were to go new I'd be off to one of the favourite HK places. But may try S/H first.

I find the older D lenses work far better wide open on full frame than on crop - much sharper and CA doesn't seem as bad.

My 85mm D & 135mm DC are amazing on my D700 but on my my D90 & D7100 they're nowhere near as sharp and next to useless even with aperture stepped down.

I bought the 85mm D over the G as I prefer the build of the older D type, but the G doesn't suffer from coloured fringing or CA like the D does.

When I had a Canon DSLR I had the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and thought it was probably the best AF lens I've ever used. I also owned the 50mm f1.4 and I thought that it was very good and it was my most used lens on my 5D but I have to say that the 85mm was the better lens. I never had any focus issues on either my 20D or 5D, it was sharp at f1.4 and the bokeh and the look of the pictures was lovely. An Art version will no doubt be better but maybe also bulkier and probably at a higher price point.

Personally I think that anyone looking for a prime lens should include the various Sigma's on their list of possible purchases.

The 1.8G scores the same as the 1.4 on DXOmark - and they're only beaten by Zeis Otus lenses.

Strangely they both score better when paired with a D800E than with the D810, and on the D810 the 1.8G scores better than the 1.4

In any case, it's a very impressive lens for the price, the 1.8G. I had the 1.8D in the past, and the copy I had suffered pretty bad CA and fringing wide open. I have the 1.8G now and can't find a fault.

So, in very simple terms, the pecking order looks like:-

1.8d
1.8g and perhaps 1.4d around the same?
1.4g

And yes a 1.8g is calling to me. Not in an immediate rush...

Apologies Robert I'm probably not going to help again! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't upgrade my 85 f1.8G to an 85 f1.4G as the difference in cost doesn't warrant the marginal difference in performance for what it is, but I would "upgrade" the f1.8G for the 85 f1.4D simply down to how the lens feels in use and nothing at all to do with image quality. Sometimes it is just nice to use something that feels good too as well as doing a good job.

And picking up on Keith's point, every 85 f1.8D I've used has had the same bad CA and fringing, super sharp lenses though, and also nice to use ... ok I'll get me coat :coat:

Whilst I'm sort of interested in the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 or 1.8, are there any significant improvements with the G over the D? i.e. IQ or even CA?
I'm a big fan of the Nikkor D's, as not least I think they look and feel better. But that does not a quality image make!
As yes, the D's can be used on older film cameras but not on my wifes D3200 body. But non of that's an issue for my D700 body (nor it's potential replacement).

Having owned both. IMHO the G is a vast improvement over the very good D. The G is:

• More contrasty
  • Handles CA better
  • Works better in back lit situations
and unlike the D doesn't blow goats in a studio. Still has that stunning feel too.

If you can go for the G do so over the D every time.

I think we are seeing the same stories with the G's compared to their older D versions.
Better optics (IQ, contrast etc) at the expense of mechanics, feel and perhaps focus speed. I like ( and have) the idea that there's little to fail in a D ( no motor) but need to recognise that ultimately it's about the image. And that it would appear is where the G wins.
Still surprised how many D lenses that Nikon sell and that they don't have G versions of. Although the list is getting smaller. 105 DC G anyone?

I used to own the 85/1.4D and the construction quality was top notch compared with most modern AF lenses these days. It had the feel and quality of a manual nikkor but with the benefit of AF!

The feel of my 105 D dc is great. As are the optics. I'm guessing that the 1.4d feels similar. But the lens will be judged by the pictures it takes. But it don't half help if they look/feel good as well.

My heart says hold out for a S/H 1.4D.

Don't!... the 1.4D is just NOT in the same league as the 1.4G or the 1.8G. Seriously... the 1.4D is actually a bit ropey. Save your cash.. save a bit more... get the 1.8G. The 1.4G is an amazing lens, but the differences between 1.8G and 1.4G are small... get the 1.8G

Don't!... the 1.4D is just NOT in the same league as the 1.4G or the 1.8G. Seriously... the 1.4D is actually a bit ropey. Save your cash.. save a bit more... get the 1.8G. The 1.4G is an amazing lens, but the differences between 1.8G and 1.4G are small... get the 1.8G
That helps. Otherwise I may have held out for a 1.4d. Still wondering if Sigma will do a 85 ART though. But I reckon it would be close to a grand if/ when they did. So it looks like the 1.8g could well be it.

Just get it. No point waiting for a lens that is just a rumour atm. If you manage to find a good 'inexpensive' one then you won't lose any money on it anyway.

There is usually a wanted add for an 85mm f1.8 in the classifieds here anyway so if yoj did want to move it on then it shouldn't be too hard.

Just get it. No point waiting for a lens that is just a rumour atm. If you manage to find a good 'inexpensive' one then you won't lose any money on it anyway.

There is usually a wanted add for an 85mm f1.8 in the classifieds here anyway so if yoj did want to move it on then it shouldn't be too hard.

I can't imagine even the ART lens being much better. Both 1.4 and 1.8G 85s are stupendously good.

Back