Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Great thanks for that post.

That's made my mind up i am going to look out for a used v1 now.

Seems to be a great take with you anywhere camera.(y)

A great 'take with you anywhere camera'! (y)

Wonder if you've seen that Digital Rev are selling a brand new V1 and 10mm f2.8 for £199 posted!!

I'll be selling a 10-30mm soon as I've bought a 10-100mm if you need a kit zoom.

Hello All, Just made the move from Canon to Nikon. I was Lucky enough to pick up a Boxed ex display J1 for £50 yesterday it has the 10-30 Lens. will trawl the thread for advice but just wanted to say hello. Phill

Wonder if you've seen that Digital Rev are selling a brand new V1 and 10mm f2.8 for £199 posted!!

I'll be selling a 10-30mm soon as I've bought a 10-100mm if you need a kit zoom.

There goes any thoughts of selling my V1 or 10mm! Trying to rationalise too much gear going unused.

Hi.
Just had a look at digital rev but offer only available in white just don't fancy a white one.

Thanks for the heads up though(y)

I would think the fact it is white is what is leading to the large reduction.

Tempted to try a J1 with 10mm as they are under £200 from Nikon on eBay.

Spent the last few weeks trying to get a 10mm for my J1, so I just went for the V1 with the 10mm on DigitalRev. Thanks for the heads up. Cheapest first hand 10mm I could find was £130, so that's £70 for a V1. Can't complain too much.

I would think the fact it is white is what is leading to the large reduction.

Tempted to try a J1 with 10mm as they are under £200 from Nikon on eBay.

Thats true, but i would prefer a black v1 so will be on the lookout for a used one for now, just missed one on the used forum went for £165 and postage bargain.(y)

Wondered what the shutter life is on a V1 or a V2?

Does the life depend on whether you use a mechanical or electronic shutter?

I've just joined the club! Picked up a new black V1 + 10-30mm lens. At the crazy low prices these are going for it would have been rude not to..!!!

Haven't really had much of a chance to play with it as the weather is pants today!

P.S. looking for an FT-1 if anyone wants to sell! See Wanted section.

Last edited:
How much did you pay for the V1 and 10-30mm ? i was tempted try one out and almost went for the deal over at digital rev V1 with 10mm but im attempting to not buy any more cameras ! Lol

Has anyone tired of their 18.5mm f1.8 yet? I'm looking at picking one up (hopefully in black!) if anyone wants to move theirs on.

Hello all.

Really enjoying my V1, it knocks the spots of my old d80 ( except for the dam preview )

Just looking for some advice from experienced Nikon 1ers.

I was wondering what you guys thought, i will be taking some pics in darkish places like pubs etc whilst out and about, would i be better with one of the fastish primes or better getting the flash first?

I have the 2 kit lenses.

Cheers for any advice.(y)

Sad news today is that the 1 series might be discontinued.

:thinking:

You mean Nikon's financial report citing a 'slowing of growth' in the CSC sector? I think that just means they're thinking of repositioning future 1-series cameras, not discontinuing them.

Nikon's investment in 1-series is huge, and it's been the best selling CSC, or one of the best, since launch. But all camera manufacturers are having a tough time right now it seems :(

Where do they reposition? Up? They tried that... Down? Maybe. I'd be tempted back if the FT1 was cheaper. For all the price repositioning the one item that might have garnered more sales is still too expensive.

As it is, the huge early price reductions on the V1, far beyond any early adopter tax, felt a little like a betrayal of sorts. Initially seen as an expensive folly, then as a bargain bin blowout... Hard to see where Nikon can go. Looking at APS it wouldn't be the first time a product line died a death....

Where do they reposition? Up? They tried that... Down? Maybe. I'd be tempted back if the FT1 was cheaper. For all the price repositioning the one item that might have garnered more sales is still too expensive.

As it is, the huge early price reductions on the V1, far beyond any early adopter tax, felt a little like a betrayal of sorts. Initially seen as an expensive folly, then as a bargain bin blowout... Hard to see where Nikon can go. Looking at APS it wouldn't be the first time a product line died a death....

That's a rather extreme and gloomy outlook! I don't see any problem with the 1-series format, rather the opposite, and I'm not alone in that. And digital killed off APS, as it did every film format.

I can understand being miffed about the big price reductions on the V1, but that's not really anything new and if you were happy with the price when you bought it, then you've just got to be a bit philosophical. On the other hand, I bought a V1 at rock-bottom price so I'm not complaining.

That problem with the V1 is all tied up with Nikon's comment about slowed growth in the CSC sector. Slowed growth is not the same thing as falling sales at all, so not exactly gloom and doom, but it inevitably means that if a manufacturer predicts a certain sales level and gears up production accordingly, then they're going to be left with unsold stock that has to be shifted, especially with a new model also in the market.

I don't know how Nikon might reposition the 1-series, or more likely extend the range into different sectors, but they've got plenty of options to go at.

I see from CPB that the 32mm f1.2 has already dropped to £645 (albeit for a silver one), down from the launch price of £800. Still can't see them shifting many though...

Nice images Dave, I've just picked up a V1 & FT1 with the intention of using it as a lightweight telephoto set up, these illustrate how useful it is. In fact I'm so impressed with the image quality, the D700 might not be clocking as many air miles as it usually does this coming winter!

Just purchased a V1 with 10-30mm lens and a Flash.

I'm quite impressed with how it performs, Video impressive, IQ is great, EVF is excellent compared to Sony SLT-A77 which I've owned, flash gives great results as well.

I'm happy enough with camera so I've now ordered an FT-1 Adapter so I can get some decent glass on it :smile:

here's a couple and a few more on my Flickr Silverstone 200 with WD4

V1_DSC_0306.jpg by Nick Railton, on Flickr

V1_DSC_0158.jpg by Nick Railton, on Flickr

V1_DSC_0141.jpg by Nick Railton, on Flickr

Some nice images Nick, I find I'm using my V1 & FT-1 mount more & more now.

Has anyone had any luck with the latest firmware update?

I thought it was a godsend when I read above that a continuous focus update had been released for when using the FT-1 mount, however I have successfully updated the firmware and unfortunately it has not solved my biggest gripe with what is otherwise a really great camera.

Any similar experience appreciated

Has anyone had any luck with the latest firmware update?

I thought it was a godsend when I read above that a continuous focus update had been released for when using the FT-1 mount, however I have successfully updated the firmware and unfortunately it has not solved my biggest gripe with what is otherwise a really great camera.

Any similar experience appreciated

This is what I wrote on another forum :crying:

Just received my FT-1 today, updated the FW so AF-C works.

I used 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII with and without 1.4 & 300mm f/2.8 VR.

First impressions the AF is a bit hit or miss and hard to lock focus on a small object.

When tracking with shutter half pressed the AF does not continuously focus like a DSLR, I have to mash the shutter to get AF moving again.

Maybe I was expecting to much from the FT-1 in AF-C mode or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would be good.

Cheers

Seems will track a moving object not very well but will not AF-C like a DSLR, shame really.:thumbsdown:

This is what I wrote on another forum :crying:

Seems will track a moving object not very well but will not AF-C like a DSLR, shame really.:thumbsdown:

Thanks for the confirmantion Nick

Looks like I will be joining your D300 club soon, just missed out on one today on ebay. Think I'll keep the J1 as a second camera or when space is an issue :)

Thanks for the heads up... will have to get my post count up before I can view the classifieds!

Nice set Dave. Currently very tempted by the forthcoming waterproof 1 series especially with an FT-1 converter so I can use my SLR lenses. What can I expect to pay for an FT-1 second hand?

Theres one on the for sale forum for £140 which sounds a good price. :)

Thanks Ian. I've seen a dealer with one for less than that and am thinking ahead. Like I said, very tempted by a waterproof 1 series for next year's holidays and with the adaptor and a 70-300 along with a pair of waterproof kit lenses, I think I'll have all bases covered. Might snap up that adaptor before someone else does!

Back