Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Nice images Dave, I'm off on my travels next month with the V1 and FT1 and a couple of afs lenses, hope I can turn out work of that quality. Leaving the D700 in the hotel room will be the biggest hurdle to overcome!

Nice images Dave, I'm off on my travels next month with the V1 and FT1 and a couple of afs lenses, hope I can turn out work of that quality. Leaving the D700 in the hotel room will be the biggest hurdle to overcome!

Thanks Mark. I didn't have much choice about my D700 - I didn't take it with me (blooming Ryanair!)

I think its a confidence thing for me Dave ditching tbe dslr, truth be known I bought the V1 & FT1 as a 2.7x teleconvertor for when I can't take the big glass for wildlife. Like you've shown its such a damn good little camera in its own right that I can see the day that the dslr stays in the cupboard regardless of baggage allowance. Going to put the 50f1.4 and FT1 through its paces next month in Thailand, be an interesting little tele combo for street photography!

Managed to get the FT-1 for £110, now just need to find a bargain 1 series body and/or wait for the price of the waterproof one to drop to a Nod friendly level!

Good price on rhe Ft1, I bought the v1 and the 10-30mm kit lens for £249.99 a couple of months ago, company on the internet called buy a camera I think. Would imagine it will be a good while before the all weather version sells for a sensible price.

Managed to get the FT-1 for £110, now just need to find a bargain 1 series body and/or wait for the price of the waterproof one to drop to a Nod friendly level!

MPB have a J1 body for £99, seems like a bargain to me!

So tempted to get a V1 again, I just keep thinking there was a reason I sold it in the first place...just cant remember what the reason was! :p

Anyone using a V2? I'm tempted for the size, grip and focus. Any users with opinions to push me over the edge?

Looks like I'll soon be back in the Nikon 1 fold, this time around with a V1. Not sure I can put up with white though...does it get mucky knocking around in rucksacks and glove compartments?

I will do mate..been looking at reviews and videos of it and it looks a great bit of kit.Only recently sold my p7700 which I really liked but work went quiet and needed funds but had big job come in so treating myself:D I was tempted by the rx100 but not convinced I could cope with fiddly controls as good as it is.

Looks like I'll soon be back in the Nikon 1 fold, this time around with a V1. Not sure I can put up with white though...does it get mucky knocking around in rucksacks and glove compartments?

I wondered the same thing..and not a fan of white cameras would look too much like a samsung:D

I've been told of an experiment somebody has done using a 600mm on a 2x telecom on a 1 series... Anyone here tried similar? A bit extreme at an EFL (35mm) of 3240mm! Should be good for shooting the stars - on the flags on the moon!!!

Yes Stuart. At least my son did on his way down to Hampshire. He'll be back later tonight and I'll get to play with it then. I'll let you know what I think.

(y)Nice one mate..glad I didnt lose him a sale and you benefited from it also..things turned out pretty good here this afternoon also,my lovely lady treated me on her plastic as I was lets just say a bit gutted about not getting the v2! Had a very nice surpise when she came home,supposedly,from Tescos!:nuts::love: There was me having a go at her about how long it took her to go get a little bit of shopping!:bang::bonk:

Thanks Simon. Very interesting and lovely pics. Lens looks good at f2.8, did you shoot any at f1.2?

I'm not sure about whether to keep the V2 at the mo but if I do, I think I'll have to get the 32.

Thanks Simon. Very interesting and lovely pics. Lens looks good at f2.8, did you shoot any at f1.2?

I'm not sure about whether to keep the V2 at the mo but if I do, I think I'll have to get the 32.

Sorry Paul,

No none @ f1.2,wish I had now,but I was under pressure to deliver with an unfamiliar setup so didn't want to push my luck!

I could see from the first shot that @ f2.8 it was giving me the dof i was after and was nice an sharp!(y)

I have returned to the Nikon 1 fold for the third time. I previously owned V1's but some of the controls drove me mad (especially the mode dial which seemed to move if the wind changed direction!)

I've just traded my much liked Panasonic G6 for a V2 and I am delighted. It has all the positives of the V1 (fabulous AF, image quality which belies the sensor size, very compact and well made) plus much improved controls and handling. There are still a few bewildering omissions such as auto bracketing and being able to change the image format (16:9 etc) but overall it ticks the boxes for me.

After that long ramble I'd welcome some feedback on using afs lenses with the adapter. How quick is the af both in good and low light. I am very interested in getting a 50 1.8/1.4 and an 85 1.8.

Thanks

I have returned to the Nikon 1 fold for the third time. I previously owned V1's but some of the controls drove me mad (especially the mode dial which seemed to move if the wind changed direction!)

I've just traded my much liked Panasonic G6 for a V2 and I am delighted. It has all the positives of the V1 (fabulous AF, image quality which belies the sensor size, very compact and well made) plus much improved controls and handling. There are still a few bewildering omissions such as auto bracketing and being able to change the image format (16:9 etc) but overall it ticks the boxes for me.

After that long ramble I'd welcome some feedback on using afs lenses with the adapter. How quick is the af both in good and low light. I am very interested in getting a 50 1.8/1.4 and an 85 1.8.

Thanks
I did something similar in that I have now owned 3 J1's. Currently have a J1 and a V1.
I reasoned that a 135 1.8 equivalent for the cost of the FT1 and 50 was a pretty good deal compared to the other options, i.e. no AFS in Nikon land. I'd recommend you to try the same before the 85.
AF with the FT1 is pretty good, not as fast as I was expecting and it is somewhat noisy compared to the same lens on a DSLR. The new AFC function makes it much more usable hand held. I found the 85 difficult to use handheld. 50 felt about right in size weight and focal length in so much as getting a shot without too much camera movement. However, in the end I much prefer the faster Af with native 1 lenses and sold the 50+85.

IMHO all these cameras can produce stunning images, and a lot depends on how they feel in the hand. I found the J1 too small and awkward in my hand, ditto the RX100. I have and love a X10 (exactly the same body size as the X20); it's pocketable but only in a large jacket pocket, but it fits very well in my hand. LX7 seems quite a good compromise; my son has a LX5 which also produces great images.

I had an X-10, have an X-20 and an XF-1 and plan on getting a 1 series waterproof. It's all horses for courses (and toys for the boy!), with the XF-1 being very pocketable (the lens retracts into the body when switched off), the X-20 (and 10) have an optical viewfinder (which I prefer to EVFs and rear screens) and a fixed zoom lens and the 1 series is a compact system camera so has interchangeable lenses. I already have the adaptor to allow me to use my current DSLR lenses on the 1 series. Not yet got my hot, sticky paws on the 1 series but I've seen images from others in the range and they look pretty good to my eyes. Images from the baby X Fujis are all excellent and print very well up to A3.

TBH, I originally talked myself out of the X-10 and 1 series since I was after a pocketable camera, hence the XF-1 but after playing with someone's X-10, I couldn't resist getting one when I found a decent deal in the classifieds! When a friend offered me a good price on it, I sold it on to him and used the money to get the X-20. FF a few months and the Nikon 1 AW was announced and my GAS kicked in! I spotted the adaptor on a 2nd hand shelf at about the same time and bought it on spec (at a good price). Just waiting for the AW to hit the shelves and I'll have a new snorkelling toy (that can take my selection of lenses)!

Couldn't wait for the AW so bought a V1 and 10mm f/2.8 through the classifieds. Been playing with the 70-300 on the VT-1 and a starling on the feeder fills the frame at 300mm! The AW is now in and I pick it up tomorrow - with a charged battery (thanks, Piotr!)

Just won a J3 and I'm unsure if to keep it or to sell it on and buy a v1 instead. Has anyone had experience of them both? My main reason would be for the viewfinder. Also would want to get hold of the ft-1 adapter for the telephoto opportunities it offers (another reason for wanting the viewfinder) Cheers.

Hi everyone, I just picked up a J1 twin lens kit for a song. It's my first decent camera, my current one being a Nikon S570 although I've also used my brother's Canon 400D. First impressions are amazing and I'm just getting to grips with the basics.

Low/indoor light seems good with still objects to my inexperienced eyes, but I need to tweak settings when shooting my 3 year old. I don't have the budget for an FT1 nor do I have any old glass anyway so I'm considering the 18.5mm f1.8. Would this be the right way to go for indoor/low light and a 3 year old that can't stand still?

Incidentally, amazon have a good deal on this lens - £151 less £20 cashback from Nikon.

due to it's upside down 'L' shape it allows me to easily attach a little home made plastic mirror and white card to bounce the flash

Old post, I know, but could anyone show me what a diy bounce adapter might look like?

Hi everyone, I just picked up a J1 twin lens kit for a song. It's my first decent camera, my current one being a Nikon S570 although I've also used my brother's Canon 400D. First impressions are amazing and I'm just getting to grips with the basics.

Low/indoor light seems good with still objects to my inexperienced eyes, but I need to tweak settings when shooting my 3 year old. I don't have the budget for an FT1 nor do I have any old glass anyway so I'm considering the 18.5mm f1.8. Would this be the right way to go for indoor/low light and a 3 year old that can't stand still?

Incidentally, amazon have a good deal on this lens - £151 less £20 cashback from Nikon.

I've just bought an 18.5 for my V1. It's pin sharp and very compact. Also it's quicker in that you don't need to 'open' the lens to use it. Indoor shots are looking really good. I'd totally recommend it.

I'm looking for a superzoom of some description to use on the V1 as a holiday camera. I was hoping that my Tamron 18-270 would do the job but it doesn't want to AF on the V1. I've enjoyed using the 70-300 VR on it (and the AW1) and have had a quick play with a 600 f/4 with a 1.4x telecom (WOW!) but don't really need the extreme reach the 600 allows (or the weight of the thing!). Has anyone used either the 18-200 or 18-300 Nikkors on their 1 series?

Just double-check your settings on your camera mate. The only AF-area mode available is Single-point AF and the camera focuses on the subject in the center focus point only.

:agree:

Trying to grab a photo of our local sparrowhawk at the weekend, with the V1 / 70-300 I keep handy for such a purpose....and AGAIN it was on video mode. I swear it moves even with the breeze of picking up the body :mad:

Just double-check your settings on your camera mate. The only AF-area mode available is Single-point AF and the camera focuses on the subject in the center focus point only.

Is that just when using the Tamron? I can use the 70-300 no problem but the Tamron just won't play! On a recent zoo visit, I took just the AW1 with the 70-300 and it was too long at times, hence me wanting a superzoom for it (well, the superzoom would be on the V1, the AW1 will have the waterproof zoom semi permanently fitted to help maintain the waterproof seal). I can live with a 50mm (EFL) wide end but 70mm equates to damn near 200mm EFL! Unfortunately, my friendly local dealer doesn't have either of the 18-?00 Nikkors in stock for me to see if they work, let alone a 2nd hand one, hence my question here. Might have to see if LCE have either and what they can do on the Tamron in PX.

Is that just when using the Tamron? I can use the 70-300 no problem but the Tamron just won't play! On a recent zoo visit, I took just the AW1 with the 70-300 and it was too long at times, hence me wanting a superzoom for it (well, the superzoom would be on the V1, the AW1 will have the waterproof zoom semi permanently fitted to help maintain the waterproof seal). I can live with a 50mm (EFL) wide end but 70mm equates to damn near 200mm EFL! Unfortunately, my friendly local dealer doesn't have either of the 18-?00 Nikkors in stock for me to see if they work, let alone a 2nd hand one, hence my question here. Might have to see if LCE have either and what they can do on the Tamron in PX.
I've use the 18-200mm with the V1 it works fine but if your after a great all rounder for the V1 I have a brand new 10-100 super zoom for sale. I would let it go for £280.00 inc RMSD.

It's not even been fitted to the camera
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...m-f4-5-5-6-pd-zoom-vr-1-taking-offers.522901/

Thanks for the info re the 18-200. I think I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of them second hand. 50-540 (EFL) is the sort of range I'm after for a single lens solution, 270 could leave me a little short!

Is that just when using the Tamron? I can use the 70-300 no problem but the Tamron just won't play!

Hi Nod, as far as I know, this IS for the Nikon lenses as well. I know there was a recent firmware update but I can't remember if this sorted out the single point focus issue. It is ringing bells but I can't remember for the life of me.

Back