Nikon 200-400mm VR

gpa

Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a long shot..................... Has anyone here had any experience of the Nikon 1.7x converter.......... on the above lens. I seem to be getting conflicting reports on whether the Auto Focus still works.

Any help would be helpful before I purchase one.

Cheers

Would it depend on which camera body you use the lens and TC on. I know the 1.7x TC loses a 1 1/2 f-stops of light, which would make the 200-400mm f4 so if it was on canon 1D series camera the auto focus would work upto f8, on the other xxD, xD & xxxD models, manual focus only, I assume its similar with Nikon and will work with the pro bodies, but not the consumer models. (of course there are suggestion that some of the 3rd party TC work, but they don't really and can do more damage to the focus system on the lens or you could blank contacts, but personally I won't want to)

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19026

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2151/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-17E-II.html

Thanks for your comments guys, I will have a go I think(y)

Yeah it will work on a D300/D700/D3 - the 200-400 is f4 and the 1.7x takes 1.5 stops. Thats f6.3, which is less than f8. I use a 1.7x on my 300 f4 and its fine - well, fine if the light is good, it can struggle to be fast (I shoot motorsport) at the end of the day in totally shady areas.

The other thing to remember is that whatever the lens, out at really long focal lengths air clarity can be a real issue. Heat distortion or mist/haze can really soften things up - which is why the Nikon/Canon promo shots for long lenses are nearly always polar region shots!!!

He does!! Well almost. The 1.7 isn't mine :)

200-400 + 1.7x TC review.

Haven't re-tested in better conditions since I wrote this but it might give you 'some' idea of what to expect...

Thanks Richard

saves me a PM:D just getting to grips with this lens, having had two 120-300 siggy's and a 300mm siggy I can already tell this is going to a long relationship. Contrast and colours are crisp and auto focus although not as fast a say a 300vr is certainly quicker than the siggy and it does not back focus(y)

Not a great fan of converter so my expectations are not that high.

No worries. I use the 200-400 almost exclusively with the 1.4x when I'm in Florida (easier to take as hand luggage than the 600!) and that is a pretty good combination, although the extra light really helps out there!

Although when I do remove the TC the extra sharpness of the standard lens really does stand out!

No worries. I use the 200-400 almost exclusively with the 1.4x when I'm in Florida (easier to take as hand luggage than the 600!) and that is a pretty good combination, although the extra light really helps out there!

Although when I do remove the TC the extra sharpness of the standard lens really does stand out!

One question re the filter in the body of the lens, is it supposed to be in there perm or do I take it out and just fit the carrier back. still trying to work out the bloody mem recall though LOL

One question re the filter in the body of the lens, is it supposed to be in there perm or do I take it out and just fit the carrier back. still trying to work out the bloody mem recall though LOL
Keep it in - if it wasn't supposed to be left in they would have supplied a case for it IMO. I've never even opened the filter holder. Although I'm going to pick up the drop in CPL next time I'm over the pond (it's soooo exepnsive in the UK!!!).

This lens will be my next purchase...........I hope....:)

LOL thanks guys, but I think I will be keeping a hammer as far away as possible, especially as i dropped my 24-70 a few weeks ago and it ended up in bits:(

LOL thanks guys, but I think I will be keeping a hammer as far away as possible, especially as i dropped my 24-70 a few weeks ago and it ended up in bits:(
Pah, that's ok. My friends 600 VR fell out the window of his car when he was shooting from a beanbag. The 1.7x he attached hadn't fully clicked in place so when he twisted to portrait the lens detached and went to say hello to Mr Concrete Floor :puke:

Back