Nikon 24-70mm AFS Focus Ring?

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I've just acquired (secondhand) this lens (24-70mm 2.8 AFS), and it seems to be visually pristine, however, there's something that worries me a bit :cautious: :

- when i zoom in & out, the action of the zoom ring gets a bit more 'stiff' as i approach 50mm from either side. This is exactly the point where the fron of the lens retracts & 'bounces' (i.e. barrel shortens going 70mm -> 50mm, then extends again 50mm -> 24mm).

Is this normal? Does anyone/everyone else who has this lens get the same effect?

everything else seems to be working fine - focus is fast, pictures look sharp, etc.

thanks in advance

Yep, stiffens at this point a bit on mine too. Wouldn't worry about it. The barrel is suddenly making a completely reverse movement so theres bound to be a difference in the torque feel of the zoom ring as this happens.

thanks for the response, that's reassuring.

however, the other lenses that I have which do this (e.g. the 12-24mm DX wide-angle zoom) also has this 'in-then-out' movement on the front element don't have a corresponding change in resistance. Then again, 24-70 is a lot more glass, too, so perhaps that contributes

Arf arf.. Or maybe (after Chris's post) both ours are knackered ;)

Had mine since it came out and it's never bothered me for a second.

It's Chris Geary's that is knackered then!

Mine also has a bit of a tight spot, going both ways but around the same point. Maybe when it has had a lot of use the lube runs a bit thin?

They definately get tighter, usually around 50mm when the lens it as its shortest.

The 28-70 f/2.8 is the same.

thanks guys - very helpful.
other than that small worry, it's a lovely lens, no?
now the worry's gone as well :)

Back