Nikon 400mm F/2.8 VR

Xup

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
You just cant beat that new toy feeling :love: the 400 now joins my 300mm 2.8 VR, it is a beast!!!!!!!!

And its heavy !!!!!, not sure I'm going to enjoy climbing up the mountains of the Mach loop with it :puke:

Mounted on a Benro GH-2 gimbal head (arrived today)

Only thing I think need replacing, is the lens foot for a lower version.

Need a new Tripod, but the Gitzo 5541LS is out due to cost, any others worth considering ???, needs to be a bit easier on the pocket!!.

gimbalcrop.jpg

And the first pic with it mounted today.

sparrow.jpg

:)

That is nice!! I agree about taking it up the hills though. I found the 200-400mm hard work. Are you hoping to handhold this for low level?
I've looked at this lens and considered it myself. But not for low level.
I hope you enjoy the lens. ;)

Kev.

Congratulations! (y)

Yes... the existing foot is really high on that lens, I think you would benefit enormously from a lower foot on that gimbal. I use a Gitzo 3530 LSV for my 500mm f4 and I'm sure it would suffice for your lens. Not cheap though, although you may find a 2nd hand version. It's a good combination of lightness and strength.

Very nice Martin, it is a bit of a beast, I look forward to seeing it at the loop sometime.

Congrats (y)

I want one so bad "I would sell my right kidney for one"

Xup

If you don't mind buying used to save some £ look at the Gitzo 1348 or 1548 both are well up to the job.

If, like many of us, you're a bit fat - simply go on a diet to lose the xlbs that thing weighs and hey presto - it's easy to carry anywhere (y)

As an added bonus, the money saved from all those take-aways and beer you aren't consuming will buy you the new tripod (maybe)

If my diet actually worked, I'd be able to carry this easily up a hill together with a small child holding my salad sandwiches :LOL:

DD

That's a lot of switches on the side of the lens :eek:

I just checked the price of the lens, wow.

Kev
It had its first outing LL to CadW last week, managed to get it mounted on my Bush hawk,
but it was a real handfull, hope it gets better/easier in time, results were better than expected :), I'll add a couple pics to this thread tomorrow.

CT
Cheers for the Tripod info, I have no clue what to get :thinking:

Mark
Myself and MJ are out in the Loop Thur (Mark "MJ" had his new 600mm f4 arrive today !!!!! )

MHO
Most of my Gear is second hand so that is not a problem for me (I'm Welsh!)

DD
I'm slim :wave: Ha!!

Tripods (Help!!!)

Anyone using the bigger Benro tripods, they look reasonably priced for a good spec ??, like half price of the Gitzo's,

Martin (y)

From what i've read of benro they appear to clone gitzo designs by reverse-engineering gitzo products. The quality is said to be ok but not near gitzo tripods. You get what you pay for. The redsnapper gets excellent reviews at a bargain price. Not sure if the weight rating is sufficient for your setup but I'm pretty sure i've read of someone using a big lens like this on one with no trouble.

Congratulations on the new lens! I got to use a Nikon 400mm f2.8 the other week (The non VR one) and it was great. What were the reasons you went for the 400 rather than the 500 or 600 (Im likely to be in the market for one of them in the future)? Have you tried it with converters yet? What bag are you using to transport it in? Ps, for tripods you might want to check out the Gitzo 3 series (I've got a 3540XLS, and have no doubt it would hold the big guns), or Induro tripods.

Congratulations on the new lens! I got to use a Nikon 400mm f2.8 the other week (The non VR one) and it was great. What were the reasons you went for the 400 rather than the 500 or 600 (Im likely to be in the market for one of them in the future)? Have you tried it with converters yet? What bag are you using to transport it in? Ps, for tripods you might want to check out the Gitzo 3 series (I've got a 3540XLS, and have no doubt it would hold the big guns), or Induro tripods.

Hi Mate,

Chose the 400 for the 2.8, I shoot 95% of my shots at 2.8 (just my thing :) ), plus I shoot on a 1.5 crop sensor camera.

Not tried the TC yet but will try to use the 1.4tc tomorrow if the light is ok.

My Bag, Lowepro photo trekker AW11, lens and camera fit ok, but the hood needs reversing.

Also have the Tamrac expedition 8x which is a longer bag if your looking for a bag with more length for a 5 or 6 hundred.(but this bag is not as deep)

I'll check out that tripod, cheers (y)

Anyone hear of a second hand tripod, up to the job, give me a shout please.

Martin

Back