Nikon 50 1.4 or Sigma 50 1.4?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about replacing my Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D Lens with either the Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM or the Nikon 50mm f1.4 G AF-S Lens.

Which is the better option to get? Some have said the Sigma is worth paying the extra for?

Which should i go for?

I've been using the Nikkor since it was released and it's fast become my most used prime. Just about every blog post this year has used the 50mm in there somewhere.

Different in the way it draws to the Sigma (which I tried and got a total lemon). As I understand it:

Sigma - bigger, heavier, costlier, bigger filters. Less vignetting but worse contrast wide open. Faster AF.

I know many fellow wedding shooters very happy with both.

Nikkor - smaller, lighter, cheaper. More vignetting at large apertures but excellent contrast from the word go. Slower AF (although far from slow per se). I get super results in very low light (ISO6400, f1.6 and 1/100s).

Yep - I'll second the Nikkor.

Fantastic lens and on my D700 95% of the time, however never used/seen the Sigma (had the 1.8 Nikkor though and the AF-S 1.4 is far better in every respect, except for slower focus speed )

So basically cannot lose either way I decide?

Not Nikon, but I just went through the same choice between the Canon 1.4 and the Sigma 1.4; *every* other lens I have is Canon, but I opted for the Sigma and don't regret it.

It is bigger and heavier than the similarly sized Canon / Nikkor lenses, but handles well, and (for me) has the advantage of having the same filter size as my other main lenses,

One of the glossy mags did a lens comparison test in recent times with both the Nikons in it. Believe it or not, the f1.8 got the gold award over the f1.4! What about that now?!!:clap:

As ever it seems the Sigma QC is as ropey as ever. For every good one there are a few bad ones which is shocking really.....

Back